Rummynose Tetra Breeding Behavior?

werner

Anybody know anything about rummynose tetra breeding? Mine have been doing funny things: if the school stops moving near the bottom, a couple of them will curve their bodies and roll slightly to their side. Startled me at first since it looks like a "nearly dead" float. But after a few seconds they go back to normal. I suspect this is a breeding behavior?

I haven't found any really in depth info online. Does anyone have breeding experience with these? I'm pretty sure the ones I have are Hemigrammus bleheri.

Anybody know anything about rummynose tetra breeding? Mine have been doing funny things: if the school stops moving near the bottom, a couple of them will curve their bodies and roll slightly to their side. Startled me at first since it looks like a "nearly dead" float. But after a few seconds they go back to normal. I suspect this is a breeding behavior?

I haven't found any really in depth info online. Does anyone have breeding experience with these? I'm pretty sure the ones I have are Hemigrammus bleheri.

I would think that Heiko Bleher would know :rolleyes: he discovered them :-) Try posting on simplydiscus forum,as he writes there from time to time.

Perhaps name the post "Asking Heiko Bleher" he usually responds.

John

It seems like odd behavior for tetra spawning. Most of the tetras I've spawned generally chase females into a densly planted area or mop, where they scatter eggs and sperm.

I found an interesting reference in Modes of Reproduction in Fishes [breder, C.M. and Rosen, D.E. (1966)] that describes the breeding behaviors of the Hemigrammus genus to be similar to that of Hyphessobrycon erythrozonus or glowlight tetra (now renamed as Hemigrammus erythrozonus). Apparently these fish do roll over while the eggs are ejected and fertilized.

I haven't seen any coupling though, just a couple of single fish rolling.

Edited by werner