crinum calamistratum

firestorm

You're probably on the right track. Lotus are a bulb plant, and they reproduce by sending out a runner, and the plant that pops up will produce its own bulb. I've never kept Crinum, so I'm not totally sure on its propigation.

There's no runner. Strong, well established plants may pop up more bulblets next to the parent plant, but I don't think it's very common. Flowering is pretty much unknown in the aquarium. They like a deep substrate that's very rich in organics, and strong water movement is recommended. They're slow growers that don't like to be moved around.

I've had one plant for almost 7 years and it finally decided to make babies earlier this year. It was in a tank that had many years of crud built up in the substrate. The babies' appearance coincided with my cable heater failing. Coincidence? I don't think so... I suspect that the old substrate compacting played a big part. I'll add some pics of the little ones shortly...

Here are a couple of pics. The dumb fish kept getting in the shot. :angry:

crinum_calamistratum1.jpgcrinum_calamistratum2.jpg

In the first picture (see the arrow) there's one baby plant that broke off when I moved the group to my new tank. When it came off, it was the same size as the other ones, but you can see that they apparently have a big advantage by still being part of the group.

The pic makes the plants appear fairly small, however the diameter of the parent bulb is just under an inch.

Cool, thanks for the info. They are in my 35 right now, but I plan to move them to my 33 once I get it set up for a planted tank. Substrate will be fluorite black sand.....I can always keep them in the 35 until the sand gets "dirty" from the fish. They seem to be doing fine, but just wondered when they would propigate. I guess I will be waiting a while :)

Cool, thanks for the info. They are in my 35 right now, but I plan to move them to my 33 once I get it set up for a planted tank. Substrate will be fluorite black sand.....I can always keep them in the 35 until the sand gets "dirty" from the fish. They seem to be doing fine, but just wondered when they would propigate. I guess I will be waiting a while

Maybe try potting it? I don't have a clue if that would work well or not.

Oh yeah, I also give mine Flourish root tabs from time to time.

Can I come and borrow it for a while?

Uh-oh. I'd better not plan any trips to Mexico...