Plecos and snails

MarkN

Will common plecos eat trumpet snails? I put allot of them into a tank so they could clean it and breed but they seem to have gone awol??!?!?! I don't think there is anything else in the tank that would eat them, a bunch of Africans. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Also does anyone have any snails for sale or free????? I seem to need some more now!

Thanks Mark

Are you talking about Malaysian trupet snails? How many did you add?

They live in the gravel and can be pretty hard to spot if you only added a few. Try checing at night as they are more likely to come out and be on top of the gravel.

MTS have a very hard shell. I don't think your africans would be able to eat them. But if they were pond snails, or ramshorn they would.

My guess is that they are in the gravel and you just can't find them.

They are trumpets and I added around 40! I have looked at night as well and still can't find any, I have tried an early morning search as well but to no avail, its all a mystery. Firestorm has offered some up so I will try again in another tank and then transfer into this tank again later and see what happens!

Edited by MarkN

How big is the tank? That might not be enough to notice them but they are in there.

I added a small bag of them to my 58g and didn't see them for months. I thought my loaches had eaten them. Then during a water change I finally started to see some. Now my gravel is crawling with them. The loaches leve them alone and they do a great job of keeping the gravel clean and algae free.

Well from what everyone has said I think maybe they might be there somewhere! It is a decent size tank at 120 gallons so maybe you guys are right and I just can't find them at the moment. I would still like to get some more if I can I have a lead on some if anyone else has some I'm in!

Where would I get some of these?

We have trumpet snails and I think our zebra got busy too, not sure I can not see the markings well on the young snails... we have ton's of them so if anyone has hungry loaches or just wants some snails let me know... I can usually meet in Fort Saskatchewan...

Lana

Where would I get some of these?

We have trumpet snails and I think our zebra got busy too, not sure I can not see the markings well on the young snails... we have ton's of them so if anyone has hungry loaches or just wants some snails let me know... I can usually meet in Fort Saskatchewan...

Lana

Zebra snails lay eggs all the time(little white eggs) but they need salt water to hatch.