My first big tank

gotgill

I finally got my new bigger tank! (early christmas gifts rock!!!). Due to the fact I bought the wrong stand 6 months ago I got to get a 65 gallon instead of a 55. Its so big I need a step ladder to work on it though but thats ok the fish will be very happy in it. . . all 3 rainbows. The best part of this is I have room for more fish! I have no idea what I'm going to do. . . I want EVERYTHING, thankfully I have some self control, though not much. No point really to the post I just had to share the great news with people who would understand. I may be asking for stocking ideas soon though hehe.

Take care everybody!

Congrats on the tank. I am assuming the stand you bought was really tall? With rainbows, the only thing you really need to be concerned with is putting them with fancy finned fish, or really small species of fish. I have seen my rainbows take nips at my angels tails, luckily they won't be staying in that tank much longer. They are also jumpers, so make sure you have a lid on, I have lost a couple because of this. Other peaceful fish work well with them, along with peaceful cichlids from South america. I will be putting my rainbows in a tank with my Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, although they are CA cichlids.

Its so big I need a step ladder to work on it

Ha ha! I need a ladder for my new 120 gal too. Did you ever see the movie Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo where he gets the girl at the aquarium store to reach a snail at the bottom of the tank so she gets her t-shirt wet? I have run into that problem too... :blush:

Well I am glad I am not alone with wet T-Shirt problem, and as for multiple tanks this is number 4. To think it all started because I wanted to relive childhood and grow triops and seamonkeys. I still grow brine shrimp but now they are food not pets, the circle of life can be cruel. . . back off to watch my water warm up, hope I can get my plants in today, the ones I got at the auction had to live in a bucket because I ran out of room and they aren't very happy about that arrangement.

Stay dry everybody! (I know I wont)

Its so big I need a step ladder to work on it

Ha ha! I need a ladder for my new 120 gal too. Did you ever see the movie Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo where he gets the girl at the aquarium store to reach a snail at the bottom of the tank so she gets her t-shirt wet? I have run into that problem too... :blush:

Haha, yep I remember that. I tend to only get my sleeves wet though......

I never would have thought with only a 65 you would need a step ladder to work on it. I still only have to use a stool when working on my 2 90 gallon tanks, and I'm only 5'4". I guess being that high up though you can really view your fish while standing :)

I do but they are still on the camera (and I take terrible pics I thought it was the camera so I got a better camera. . . it's not the camera hehe) The water is still really cloudy thanks to the fluorite and my constant fussing but the filter is going gang busters. I will post some pics in the photography section as soon as I get all the plants in and the water clear. . .

I just added another layer of floss to the filter, I did rinse the fluorite but not until the water ran clear, so I will see what it looks like tomorrow. Although I have decided it looks very barren and I need more plants. On a tragic note while taking the plants out of my 10 gallon to put in the 65 I squashed one of my danio fry with a log and had to put him down. I don't think I have felt so bad in a long while, actually I still feel rather crumby about it. . .