Filter size for tank

Fox

I recently went to a pet store to compare some prices on tanks and noticed they had several kits for their larger tanks that included a filter that was rated for a much smaller tank than they were selling it with (ei, Filter was for a 75 gal but the tank was 100).

I am in the market for a larger tank and am curious if this is the norm...

My main tank is a 33 gal with 2 filters (1 on the rim and 1 submersible) that I traded for 2 window air conditioners with a buddy of mine that has been collecting fish for some time so I just assumed what I had was adequate. Now that I am getting more into the hobby I want to make sure that my new tank has adequate filtration.

Another friend of mine tells me the best filter to buy is a Rena filter but I have noticed that the price reflects the quality and am wondering if there is anything roughly the same quality but not as expensive.

Cheers!

I recently went to a pet store to compare some prices on tanks and noticed they had several kits for their larger tanks that included a filter that was rated for a much smaller tank than they were selling it with (ei, Filter was for a 75 gal but the tank was 100).

I am in the market for a larger tank and am curious if this is the norm...

My main tank is a 33 gal with 2 filters (1 on the rim and 1 submersible) that I traded for 2 window air conditioners with a buddy of mine that has been collecting fish for some time so I just assumed what I had was adequate. Now that I am getting more into the hobby I want to make sure that my new tank has adequate filtration.

Another friend of mine tells me the best filter to buy is a Rena filter but I have noticed that the price reflects the quality and am wondering if there is anything roughly the same quality but not as expensive.

Cheers!

hate to be the burden of bad news, but as the saying hoes "you get what you pay for". a rena by far is the best bang for your buck when it comes to canister filters. you could try an aqua clear as well, but they don't work quite as well.

IMO, it is important to have enough filtration. Most people will tell you to overfilter rather than underfilter, particularly if you have a large bioload in your tank. I have a 75 gallon tank that is filtered with a Rena XP3 (rated for a tank up to 175 gallons). It keeps the water clean and allows for a large area for beneficial bacteria to grow which means I don't get ammonia or nitrite spikes.

IMO, it is important to have enough filtration. Most people will tell you to overfilter rather than underfilter, particularly if you have a large bioload in your tank. I have a 75 gallon tank that is filtered with a Rena XP3 (rated for a tank up to 175 gallons). It keeps the water clean and allows for a large area for beneficial bacteria to grow which means I don't get ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Thanks mate...

That's kind of what I thought and found it very odd to see otherwise...I am going to go with that!

Cheers!