Cycling Tank

randy

I am in the process of cycling my new tank (fishless ammonia). It has been a week so far have been taking reading every day

NH3 is 5, NO2 is 0, NO3 is 6

I have not hade a nitrIte spike yet but I am getting a nitrAte reading. Is this out of the ordinary? Yes I check to make sure I did not get the tests mixed up??

Its a Hagen product the chart is 5, 10, 20 etc. The colour is slightly darker than the 5 so guesed at six they are really hard to compair colors on the chart but thats the only solutions I have access to with out having them shipped up to me.

no started out at 0, yes all filter media was from an other active filter.

If you had enough filter material from an other established source you may have over dosed the ammonia. I would do a 50 % water change and monitor. When the NH3 drops to 0.5, I would add ammonia to 2ppm.

If that disappears in 24 hours you may have cycled the tank with the existing media.

J

Edited by geleen

Don't think a water change is in order because if I have cylcled the tank in less than a week I would think the ammonia would start do be going down as I have not added any additional ammonia since the initial dosing to get it to read 5. Only other thing I can guess at is that the test solutions have expired (is this possible) I would purchase an other test solution kit BUT!!!! (welcome to the north) the one and only LFS is out and could be a week or two before they get their order. One good thing about it though is it limits me to how many tank and fish I have with out blowing all my money on fish stuff. Eg. those lovely clown Loaches at 1.5 inches are $$40.00!!

There should be a expiry date on the box/bottles or a lot number which you can email to the company and ask when they expire. I think the AP test kits had a lot# on the bottles and the last numbers were the year they were made, then they were good for 2-4years after that date.

40$ for a 1.5" loach, ouch! You'd be better off ordering fish and having them shipped up there.

lot number on one of the bottles is A 65, the other bottle is A 46. Hope it is closer to 4 year mark, will wait till they get their next order of supplies and pick up a new test kit and see what that one indicates.

Edited by randy