Kayen's Planted 33g - Up and Running

Kayen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For dry ferts, I use KNO3 (Potassium nitrate), KH2PO4 (Monopotassium biphosphate), and KSO4 (Potassium sulfate), and a dry trace mix. I used to use Tropica Master Grow as a trace b/c it's easier, but with a 135g dosing EI, it was just way to expensive.

Thanks for the advice, getting some ferts tmr !

Anyways, bad news.

Algae tons of it -

BBA.

It's attacking the glass, wood, heater, filter tube, e tenellus & crypt.

Diatoms.

Everywhere pretty much, oh boy would otos feast here.

Solution?

I read up seems i need more constant CO2, + i need to start fertilizing again after i get nutrients and go EI dosing daily i suppose?

Help the plants outcompete the algae.

Also need a crew of algae eaters in there as quite a bit varied algae is forming + i like otos / plecos ( i've yet to own one >_> ).

I heard SAE were good for algae, and BBA, however i also heard they <3 moss. That's bad, because i love moss too, except i don't love eating the stuff.

Also if i were to get SAE, where can i get true SAE's ?

Also some changes coming :

Planning to move the riccia rocks to around the scape, instead of being a central field - will let e tenellus grow it out there.

Further more, on the far leftside i plan to move the crypt there, move the moss stump to a more diagonal position and try adding more presence on the leftside.

Right side - need to get rid of surface riccia - spoken for.

Plants are growing okay, but have really slowed down lately. They're fast growing stems so it's a bit of an iffy, but i can understand that they've been choked for nutriets for the past month now.

Also the driftwood - i would love to moss it up, however i want to try mossing it up with a more exotic moss if possible, otherwise i'll just have to stick with good ol' java.

Also need a crew of algae eaters in there as quite a bit varied algae is forming + i like otos / plecos ( i've yet to own one >_> ).

SAE do get to be pretty large, and if true SAE (which work the best) I do believe they're a very aggressive fish, from what I've read.

Otos are quite odd for me, I like them, have perfect parameters in the tank, have algae/zucchini and they still die. 4/5

Which is why my next experience will be with Pitbull "Plecos". They stay small, as was said in the small pleco thread, 2", and their scientific name gives me hope Parotocinclus jumbo :shifty:

Algae-eating shrimp are awesome at taking care of most filamentous alga - they're also known as Ammano shrimp (Cardina japonica). Ammano, himself has 1 shrimp per gallon. They get nice and big, too - I've had females reach close to the 3" mark!

Think angels will harass them ?

That's my biggest fear.

I love shrimp, but my dad had to go buy some angels, so now i can't stick in shrimpies.

-Also pitbull plecos i'd love to get some.

One problem with SAE i have is they eat moss.

And i plan to have moss as a vital component of the scape.

How big are the angels? I had Ammanos in with angels, and as long as they could hide (a lot of time they were at the surface amongst leaves, or under wood) they grew. Once they get to the 2"+ mark, they should be OK indefinitely. I think NC has them for around $4ea.

Arghh update:

-Added 9 White Cloud Mountain Minnows

I don't mean to be a wet blanket on your GREAT planted tank project, but I have read that White Cloud Mountain Minnows prefer a cooler water temperature, maybe something around 68-70F, yet your angelfish needs warmer temps. Just something to consider as you continue with your project. Great looking tank, though! :thumbs:

Arghh update:

-Added 9 White Cloud Mountain Minnows

I don't mean to be a wet blanket on your GREAT planted tank project, but I have read that White Cloud Mountain Minnows prefer a cooler water temperature, maybe something around 68-70F, yet your angelfish needs warmer temps. Just something to consider as you continue with your project. Great looking tank, though! :thumbs:

I've read of WCMMs living in temperatures up into the 90s, sure it lowers their life expectancy but they'll survive. Mine are currently in a tank that ranges between 82-84 in temperature and I've had 0 problems

• 2 months later...

102_1884.jpg

It looks freaken ugly right now.

Behold.. the riccia hand ...

Edit:

So algae problems, lack of CO2, and my filter is regularly not doign well due to the kinked intake ( the outtake isn't bad now after being under pressure, but conversely this made kinks on intake worse )

CO2, still looking for a decently priced 5lb cylinder @ $100, no more than $120.

Right now no DIY CO2 either, busy stage, need to replace the intake and out take tubings on the tank for the CO2 to be effectively diffused through the Rena.

Plants, i feel the need for a plant change up, and substrate change up.

What's a nice stem to replace the limno S with? and some of the hygrophila polysperma with, i want a stem to replace the limno s primarily, hygro i think i can stick with it's use as background plant.

I was thinking of getting some saggitaria for that back corner.

Edited by Kayen