HUMIDITY HELP

Ishkabod

I have One Koi tank 40 gal-no heat or bubbles covered

Guppy Tank 15 gal -Aqua giant 5 dollar sponge in tank filter with bubbles and Canopy

One 15 Gal Mr Blue's tank- Heated and same filter as above

30 Gal Cichlid tank heated with a full covered and And the same type of bubble filter as above

Thanks

Lisa

I have One Koi tank 40 gal-no heat or bubbles covered

Guppy Tank 15 gal -Aqua giant 5 dollar sponge in tank filter with bubbles and Canopy

One 15 Gal Mr Blue's tank- Heated and same filter as above

30 Gal Cichlid tank heated with a full covered and And the same type of bubble filter as above

Thanks

Lisa

i can sugest the obvious, a dehumidafier. but they are really pricey, you can get creative and try an exhaust fan and duct it outside but with winter comming that could be a problem (ice buildup) or you might have to simply cover all your tanks

I honestly don't think you should have very many humidity problems at all with what you have, unless they are all in one small room. The cheapest alternatives would be to have covers for all your tanks, and see about getting canister filters. You can however buy dehumidifiers, you can get smaller ones that are slightly cheaper, but are not as effective as bigger units.

I'd suggest tight fitting glass tops with minimum openings for filters etc...that will cut down evaporation a bit.

I find canister filters seem to cause less hunidity than the open, hang-on-back types but not sure if that would make that much of a difference.

The use of the exhaust fan, properly insulated and vented, might cost you a bit in heating during the winter but can fix a problem with out the maintenance of the dehumidifier choice.

Good luck!

What about air for the fish. I really want to seal the tank off but my guppies don't even like it when there is some movement on the surface and no bubbles. I turned off the bubbles on my 30 gal but i just noticed the bigger plecco is shooting up to the top and grabbing a bubble of air every so often. Should i actually increase the filter airation?? Would a canopy built with an air space and the air circulation coming from there do the trick?? How much air flow might i be able to cut off without smothering the fish?? what is the littlest amount of air someone has given the tank so that i might be able to restrict the evaporation as much as possible.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Lisa.