Blooming Echinodorus 'rose'

werner

So my Echinodorus 'rose' has started blooming- here are some pics:

echinodorus_bloom1.jpg

echinodorus_bloom2.jpg

Here's the flower spike:

echinodorus_bloom3.jpg

Does anybody know if it will be self fertile? I've read that some Echinodorus are and some aren't. I'm going to help pollinate it with a paintbrush and see what happens. I've never tried to get seeds from the flower stalks before, just plantlets. It will be a bit of an experiment to see if I can A] get seeds, and B] sow them and get plants.

Since E. 'rose' is a cross between E. horizontalis and E. horemanii "red", I believe fertile seeds should develop into different plants? An interesting experiment here too.

The stupid thing has started sending up a second flower spike too. I just got rid of it's last batch of plantlets at the last CAS auction. Looks like there will be more for the spring auction.

Edited by werner

• 2 weeks later...

Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants says that this variety is fertile (despite being a hybrid). I'm just waiting to see if it's self-fertile. I have transferred pollen between several flowers, but it's hard to tell if there are any seeds developing...

• 2 months later...
Update: after much paint brush pollenating, there doesn't seem to be any seed development. Soooo, I'm gonna say that this is not self fertile. Got lots o' baby plantlets, though.

there is male and female flowers. did you polinate the right flowers. with the male flowers?

there is male and female flowers. did you pollinate the right flowers. with the male flowers?

Have to disagree with you there- Echinodorus flowers are bisexual.

wouldn't they pollinate themselves then? did you let the flower completely dry up? once completely dry you should be able to crumble it and the seeds should be in there?

last year i tried pollinating a pumpkin with a zucchini and vice versa. the pumpkin grew long then died! the zucchini was normal

Edited by fleshgear

wouldn't they pollinate themselves then? did you let the flower completely dry up? once completely dry you should be able to crumble it and the seeds should be in there?

They should if they're self-fertile. At first I pollinated two flowers that were open at the same time (they're only nice for a day then they start dying off). Then once I had more flowers, I mixed between old and new. Then I got another flower stalk so I pollinated between the two. Nothing. The little flower centers just dried up and there was no sign of any seed development.

I found a couple pics of E. berteroi infructescences (expanded my vocabulary with that one) at the Vascular Plant Image Library:

hdw13119908b.jpg

hdw13119909b.jpg

I expect other Echinodorus species would look similar. I thought I'd taken some pics of mine, but I can't find them.

So either:

[1] I'm really bad at plant sex :blush:

or

[2] E. rose isn't self fertile :(

Now here's an interesting thought: If I had another plant in flower, I could try pollinating them again. But could a plant be fertilized from one of it's own plantlets? Would they be genetically the same plant and therefore not self-fertile? Or for that matter, if all of Tropica's plants are from tissue culture, could any E. rose out there fertilize another? :wacko: