Siamese algae eaters

jonnytens

SAE aren't a good choice for a 20g. They get to be 6" and like to be in groups. They also only really eat the hair algaes(mine have never touched the green algae on my plants or rocks) and once they are adults they prefer fish foods and can be lazy in their algae cleaning duties. They are great at getting rid of BBA though!

In my 20g planted tank I have Zebra snails, amano shrimp and a BN pleco for a clean up crew. A 20g isn't very big and can quickly be filled with just an algae crew.

SAE's will probably get too large for a 20. But they do make better algae eaters than oto's, since oto's eat very few types of algae. However SAE's are great for a planted community tank. They have a peaceful temperament, so hopefully no one mistakes them for CAE's.

My SAE's even ate the green dust algae when I was having problems. Here is an algae chart so you know what type of fish eat what type of algaes http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

Edited by firestorm

• 2 weeks later...

sae's get lazy. though they do eat the algae, doesn't really seem to make a difference. You could try going for an aquarium light that runs at about 10,000 kalvin to remedy an algae problem. I've also never had a hair algae problem since getting sae's.