How much filteration should I run?

cichlidmomwanabe

I'm just wondering how much filteration I should run for my 225 gallon? Would 2 rena x3 be enough. I plan to have a nice assortment of cichlids in the tank(probly 40-60) fish. I also have 3 Marineland emperor 400s I could use, with the Rena's.

I recomend using all that you can i fact if i could do my 230 gallon over again i'd make it have a overflow with a sump. I'm running 2 FX5 filters and 2 seio 2600 power heads on my tank right know and would love more if possiable. If i didn't have such a large euro brace on my tank i would also mount 2 aquaclear 210 (500's) on as well.

I'm just wondering how much filteration I should run for my 225 gallon? Would 2 rena x3 be enough. I plan to have a nice assortment of cichlids in the tank(probly 40-60) fish. I also have 3 Marineland emperor 400s I could use, with the Rena's.

Look for a 6 to10 times turnover per hour.

J

Is it possible to gauge the effectiveness of a filtration system by measuring the accumulation of NO3? Considering the three filtration genres -- MECHANICAL--CHEMICAL --BIOLOGICAL. If the water is satisfactorily turbid, and Nitrates are held in check,,, can we assume its all good?P1040604.jpg"]

That should be a sweet tank when it is fully stocked. I agree with geleen. Over-filtering (within reason) is always the way to go. To give you some perspective, I have a 150 gallon with about 30 fish in it. I currently run an FX-5 and a Cascade 1500. I am planning on getting rid of the Cascade and putting on either two Rena XP-4s or one Rena XP-4 and one Eheim upper range. In reference to jewels' awesome picture, wow. Filtration with a planted tank, however, is far less demanding because the plants take in so much of the nitrates.

Dang,, I like those red moorii's GregL . I wanted a tropheus colony but my only tank big enough for such things filled up with plants before I found some. From what I understand in 90 gallons one would want around 15-20 tropheus. Have you ever measured the Nitrate? Does that filtration system hold the NO3 at bay?

Speaking specifically about the true completion of the nitrogen cycle ( yes, right down to the last surface seeking bubble)

I am will go out on a limb here and say, so far as biological filtration is concerned, it would be the accumulative volume of the saturated media ; and not the speed @ which the water passes through it .--- a long and drawn out way of agreeing with CORVETTE

The Rift lakes are low oxygen content,,, correct?

Thanks, I like the reds too. I am watching them right now and 7 of them are scraping the algae off the back wall!

I have not measured anything in my tank in a year. I converted to the "jvision school of testing" where if things look right and you are following the rules, you don't test. I "test" by looking at the fish. Normal behaviour and great colors are an easy way to tell if things are good. My tropheus right now are small, 1.3" for the reds and a mix of 1.5 to 3" for the kiriza, so I have not maxed out my filtration yet. Right now I run a Cascade 1200 and a Rena XP-4 on each. My plan is to possibly buy a larger (230+ range) tank with a large sump and join the two colonies. But yeah, I would say the nitrates are kept under control. I do 40-50% every 7-10 days and my tanks are thriving (knock on wood).

I am not sure what the oxygen content of the the Rift lakes are. IME Rift lake tanks do not necessarily need added airstones unless there is not enough surface agitation.

2 XP4's might not do it if you're stocking heavily.

if it's 2 XP4's, add a hang on or two and i think your water should be crystal clear.

i run an XP3 and an XP4 along with a 304 on my 120 gallon.

water is pretty good!