Protein Skimmers

salon_1928

• 2 weeks later...
Have you considered a canister filter with a surface skimmer attachment? It would be constantly removing the surface layer of water as opposed to only during water changes.

I've mulled it over. Right now I feel like I've got everything dialed-in perfectly and I don't want to mess around with things to much. I think I'm going to go bigger by the end of the year - likely a 90 gallon tank. At that point I'm going to look at a canister or combination of HOB/Canister for filtration.

Actually, that brings up another question - I've seen these neat little gizmos that attach to your power filter which help to remove the top layer. Problem is, isn't this at the expense of removing the crap that gets suspended in the water? I can see that a fair bit of it is captured by my AC300 as the fish in my tank stir it up off the bottom. I can tell its significant because cleaning my gravel is never as messy as you would think - also, my sponge is usually pretty dirty after 1-2 weeks.

I guess if you have 2 HOB filters, one intake can skim while the other is mid-tank...

Cheers,

Stu

These are suposed to work great http://www.hydor.it/inglese/bioflo.htm

That looks cool - I've already settled on getting a powerhead to increase water movement and this thing looks like it will skim and add a little bio-filtration as well. Anybody know if this will work with a Hagen 402 and are they available in Calgary (or anywhere else in Canada)?

Cheers,

Stu

Would a wet dry vac strip it off the top of your tank?  They go on sale for about $50 every so often and are great for cleaning up spills.  I know one of our A.C.E. club members uses his to clean off the duck weed from his tanks occasionally.

I'm a klutz at the best of times and that is just an accident waiting to happen...

:boom:

Cheers,

Stu

>>quote>>Actually, that brings up another question - I've seen these neat little gizmos that attach to your power filter which help to remove the top layer.<<

I believe you are refering to:

Aqua Clear's Surface Skimmer; Product # A-1006.

Great little unit.

Smokey

B)