how much wpg are you running?

felixc

My new 25g is nearly complete and all I need is the lighting to finish it off. This will be a heavily planted and fish aquairum. There is also pressurize co2/reactor on the system. How much wpg would you recommend? I don't want to upgrade in the future and plan on keeping colorful hard to keep species. Tell me what you're running for light?

On my 135, I am running 6x40W T12 lighting... probably should replace the bulbs now, tho - they only really last 6mos. On my 10 gal, I have 2x23W CF lighting - this one grows Glosso well when I add Excel.

If you're wanting to grow ANYTHING, then you'll want to go with around 3 WPG - you can go with a bit less w. T5 or MH lighting. Just make sure that you add ferts as well.

In my 33g that i will be setting up tmr, it will be 4x32 CFL, due to inefficiency, i'm gonna consider it 3wpg. I'm going to be doing DIY CO2 for a few months, but i should still be able to grow pretty much anything.

Also seeing as how you already have pressurized CO2, go with 3wpg, and if you dose properly with ferts, you can grow pretty much alot of things. Don't forget to factor substrate in as well though.

My dilema is between the Nova extreme SLR 2x24 T5HO, Nova extreme 4x24 T5HO, or Coralife 2x65 PC fixture. Price isn't really an issue, however, I don't want to just waste money on something that is overkill and not be put to use correctly. My choices are 2wpg or 4wpg, I wish there was a 3wpg option, I would definately go with that. Any ideas?

You can get the 4x24 HO, and just take out one of the bulbs, and if you feel it's inadequate, than use all 4.

Better more than less.

great idea, however I am leaning more towards the coralifef 2x65w PC because I just found a wicked sale on them, $109, comes with fan and dual moon light, very tempted. With this fixture, I may not be able to achive my 3wpg. :boxed: :boxed: choices???!!!!

Well 5.2 wpg on the thing isn't bad tbh.

If you're growing some harder plants that require high light it might do well.

I'm not to knowledgeable in PC lighting, so i'm not sure if you could swap in a lower wattage bulb or something.

But hey, if you think you can keep on maintenance, go for it.

If you do go with that choice, don't forget to keep up on CO2 and ferts otherwise your plants will starve, and let algae start to catch up.

Edit: or you could look for a 96 watt PC fixture..

Edited by Kayen

Well 5.2 wpg on the thing isn't bad tbh.

If you're growing some harder plants that require high light it might do well.

I'm not to knowledgeable in PC lighting, so i'm not sure if you could swap in a lower wattage bulb or something.

But hey, if you think you can keep on maintenance, go for it.

If you do go with that choice, don't forget to keep up on CO2 and ferts otherwise your plants will starve, and let algae start to catch up.

Edit: or you could look for a 96 watt PC fixture..

96W bulbs are over 30", my tank is 24".

With the 2x65w fixture the plants are going to grow too fast aren't they. I am new to plants so I have no idea how fast things will go under 2wpg versus 4wpg with co2/nutrients. As for apperance, I want a lush and full looking tank with minimal maintanance. I don't know if is even possible. I have two other tanks to take care of so the less time spent maintaining the better. Water changes and triming once a week is ok with me.

130w total is too much isn't it, especially if I only want to trim weekly? Should stick with 3wpg eh? thought?

I also much prefer T5HO to PC. Especially because there's a good range of bulb choices out there. Not a big fan of the color of the Coralife PC bulbs (which are about your only option.) I think picking the right bulb makes a big difference.

As for wpg, it's such a vague thing that you really can't say that there's a magic number (like 3wpg). It all depends on stuff like type of bulbs, tank depth and water conditions. 3 wpg of fluorescent is not the same as 3wpg of PC, etc., etc. In a deeper tank, you need much stronger light to reach the bottom. If you have any coloring or clouding of the water (from humic substances, plankton, algae, etc.) the light absorption and color spectrum that penetrates the water are negatively influenced.

I have 2x54W T5HO + 2x150W MH on my 120gal (24" deep).

T5HO > PC. If price is an issue look into one of these: http://www.fishneedit.com/new-light.html. I just got the 3' version and am quite happy with it so far.

Very nice, thanks for the link.

Is that a US vendor? How much was shipping to Calgary? What method?

They ship USPS and for my order it was $25.99. For orders under $100 it's $20.99.

For the 3' fixture the total worked out to be $172 after shipping and currency conversion.

Edited by thegrandpoohbah