Mystery death

Vallisneria

Well, 1 hour ago my peacock was fine. I went to feed my fish and he looked normal. He ate and was swimming just like he always did. Well i jsut walked by my tank and noticed him dead, laying on the gravel. Not sure what killed him. A little while after i fed them i did hear a really weird crashing noise from the tank. BUt when i looked over i didnt' see anything(although i did check very carefully or do a head count).

I took a pic of him when i scooped him out. His fins look all weird on the ends. Not sure whats thats from. COuld it mybe be from the fish picing on him after he died? His fins look perfect 1 hour ago.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Could a sudden attack from one of the large haps have cause this? Its just that he died so quickly, i'm puzzled.

same way my oscar died. fins on mine didnt look tattered though. maybe he rammed his head into something. was he next to any precarious objects when you found him?

His fins arne't tattered or really ripped. The ends just have lost all their coloring

Well when i first found him he actually was still kind of flopping around, but he was out in the open. He died a minute later. I was wondering if he coudl have crashed into something(glass lid,wall of the tank) and cracked his head, causing him to die.

yea thats what I thought. what is the setup like?

-edit-

nm I saw it, yea il bet it was a smack in the head.

Edited by cichlidkid

I had a cichlid once knock himself out. At feeding time, he jumped and wacked his head on the glass top and just floated lifeless to the bottom. I watched and waited but he never recovered. My hubby says I should have reached in and grabbed him by the tail and swished him around gently to keep water going through his gills until he came to. Maybe that would have worked...I don't know.

if I put food on the top of the glass top my midas wackes her head on te glass trying to get it.

I feel real bad for you. Sunshine peacock??

Don't feel to bad, he was a hybrid I won in a raffle <_< Thanks for the offer of fry though.

So does anyone know why his fins would loose all their color at the edges like that? what causes that?

Edited by degrassi