Replacing T5 Bulbs

JohnRosario

I have read in a couple of posts, people replace their T5 bulbs every 6-8 months. They stated they did this because there was a decreased in red spectrum light out put.

That didnt seem 100% correct with me so I decided to contact the Illuminating Engineering Society of North American and they placed me in contact with a person from the GE Lighting R&D department. GE stated that while lumines do decrease over time (3500 from new to 3220 at there end of their life) The red spectrum lighting does not decease at a greater rate then the other parts of the light spectrum.

I wonder where people got their info on replacing T5 Bulbs so frequently?

I'm not sure where you're reading this... reef sites, maybe? IME, T12s need to be replaced every 6 mos, T8s about every year, and T5s/PCs should be good for plants 'til they burn out.

I have read in a couple of posts, people replace their T5 bulbs every 6-8 months. They stated they did this because there was a decreased in red spectrum light out put.

MH bulbs degrade in light output and may shift in color over time (towards the red end of the spectrum.) This may have been inferred for fluorescent bulbs too.