Options for moving large tank

Go4Long

so next thursday I am moving a 250 gallon tank, and am trying to figure out what my best option is going to be for moving it. the suggestions I had were:

-piano straps

-fridge cart

-suction cups

I kinda like the fridge cart idea, but am worried about if a tank will be okay standing on it's short side like that, any ideas?

I would look at dome depot for a large piece of plywood, some 2x4's and some wheels and make a cart the same size (or shorter, but slightly wider) as the tank. It would be VERY easy to make, and you'd have it any time you needed to move the tank. Yes it may cost you $50 for this stuff, but I'm sure it's cheaper than buying a new tank because it was broken.

You can buy/rent little "skateboards" to put under each corner. They will not work if you have stairs though.

Is the tank going to be copletely empty? If so, four guys should be able to carry it.

I personally woundn't stand it on the shortside but so far I have only moved a 120.

Good luck

Derek

If you can't find them for rent then Lee Valley carries them (double suction cup) at about $32 a set and each set holds 175 pounds but you will need four sets. You need to press down a bit on them when you are throwing the lever to activate the suction cups. Worked well at Seajay's to move the 135 gallon unit he sold.

can't bring it up properly here for whatever reason, but in the princess auto catalogue it has dual head suction cups with a listed capacity of 160 lbs. princess auto part number 8136624 anyone that can take a look and see if they figure that will work? it's on page 228 of the catalogue under the specialty tools section.

Edited by Go4Long