rams - updated May 13 - plz read

jus_sum_guy

I could be wrong, but I believe the "Red ram" is just a color variant of the blue ram. (tho looking at the ones at riverfront - they actually look more like bolivian rams).

The care is much the same as any of the ram speicies... They like planted tanks, lots of room, soft water (tho not 100% required). They'll eat pretty much anything you throw at them.

Andy

yea red rams are bolovian rams. not as nice colors but more hardy imo

I think there's probably 2 variants out there, because I've seen red rams on aquabid before - that were closer to a 'blue ram'. But the ones currently found in calgary seem to be a bolivian based strain.

Blue rams got a bad wrap over the past few years because of poor breeding methods (too much inbreeding). GOOD ones are among the hardiest dwarf cichlids. Too bad it's rare to get good ones these days. If you ever spot some F0 Blue rams, they're definitely worth picking up - they put the "German blue rams" to shame.

Andy

We have a Bolivian Ram that has to be housed with larger Mbuna, he is the biggest knob in the tank, always looking for a fight or harrassing one of the other fish. Our Blue Ram lives in the community tank with danios, cardinals, guppies and cories, although he is still young and may have to be moved when mature. Both are great little fish, just very different temperments.

• 1 month later...

Ok rams r doing great for me. Beautiful fish :D

Now instead of starting a new thread i figured i'd just continue in this one.

My Kribs r starting to outgrow the 10g, so i'm moving them to a 20g with an albino bristlnose. Any other cichlids i can add in with them? Keyholes, blue/red rams, etc..?

Edit: 2 kribs, 1m/1f

Edited by jus_sum_guy