My new tank

thedarkstar

I'm just about to start on revamping my 20gal long and turn it into a low light planted tank.

I'm gonna be heading to get some nice sandblasting sand for the substrate, changing it over from my gravel and hopefully splitting and planting the nice Crypts I got from Ruadh.

I'm just curious what kinda filtration I should be using. I've read that some low light planted tanks can self sustain, and I've currently got a HOB on there. Was also looking into maybe doing a pair of sponge filters to sit in the back to corners. Any suggestion as to what might work best?

You probably have enough filtration - you just want to make sure there's enough flow to circulate water around the whole tank.

The problem with sponge filters, is that they don't pick up floating debris, and with plants you will get alot of leaves that come off and float around. The disadvantage to HOB's is that they lose so much CO2 from the water. IMO canister filters are the best to use on planted tanks. I have only a little fluval 103 on my 35 gallon planted tank and it certainly keeps things good (and they are cheap). I did however switch my HOB from my 20g guppie and swordtail, low light planted tank, over to a sponge filter. But all I have in there for plants are java fern and some anubias nana. And as Jason has said you will need something to provide flow in the tank to provide current, unless you were to attach a powerhead to the top of your sponge filter it should work ok for that.