Help! My house is starting to smell a little fish funky

JohnRosario

Hi guys

This is the first time in a number of years I have had fish tanks. With the cooler weather, I have not been able to open up the windows to let my place air out. My house is starting to get a fish funk. I'm ok with it but my wife is definately not. All my tanks currently have covers and I do regular weekly water changes. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to minimize odors? Would a dehumidifier help? How about an air purifier? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

John

Are they all newly set up tanks?

I have found that sometimes a new tank stinks for a few days.

Otherwise a well maintained tank shouldn't smell at all.

Make sure the lids are well fit, and maybe incrase your water change volume, and carbom may help too.

Boom :boom:

My tank smelled when it was temporarily overstocked, even with the carbon and 15% daily water changes.

My HOB filter stunk horribly when live bloodworms (midge larvae I think) got into the filter. It also smelt a bit when the filter media rose above the water level.

How many fish are in your tank? Is the filter "clean" (not clogged with something rotting in it)?

There is a thick green slime that I used to have in my tanks. It' looks like an algae, but it isn't... there was a significant sour smell that came along with that.

A healthy tank shouldn't smell. I have 6 tanks in my bedroom and there is no odor. If I lift the hood and smell, there is only a faint earthy wet smell but even that is barely there.

If yours has a strong odor I would try to find the source. Are you over feeding? Any plant or organic matter decaying in the tank? Gunked up filter? Any food that is stuck to the bottom of the glass hood getting moldy? Dead fish you can't find? Rotting driftwood in the tank?

If none of those are a problem try upping your water changes. Using carbon will also help but it will remove your ferts too. Maybe try the carbon for a week and dont' add any ferts. See if it makes a difference.

Edited by degrassi

I had this similar problem when i first started out in 33 gallon tank, it would stink and the water smells like rot. I solved it by changing the water more frequently, vacuuming the gravel and cleaning the sponges inside the filters. After a week of small daily water changes and not over feeding my tank, it now smells like fresh aquarium water.

how often do you change the water and does your substrate have lots of food lying around?