Is possible to be ALGAE FREE

devocole

I do put in plant food every once and a while. Not sure if its good but plants are doing fine.

Do you mean houseplant food? Stuff for terrestrial plants is usually waaaayy too concentrated for aquarium use. With only a few plants, your fish and fish food should provide enough nutrients.

I do put in plant food every once and a while. Not sure if its good but plants are doing fine.

Do you mean houseplant food? Stuff for terrestrial plants is usually waaaayy too concentrated for aquarium use. With only a few plants, your fish and fish food should provide enough nutrients.

No its the plant food from big al's. I don't think its very good but its something. I don't use it very often either. Only when i remember.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about this thread for a while. Whenever I do a higher tech tank I seem to fight one kind of algae or another nonstop. I always suspect there's a lot not mentioned when you see the crowded with plants perfect planted tank pictures, with no algae. However I've had 1 smaller tank with just lowlight plants going nonstop in one incarnation or another for 4 years or so, and never have algae problems. Sand, lots of wood, java fern (I like windelov), a sword or 2, an oe crappy single bulb light strip, over filtered with an extra powerhead for no deadspots in anything longer than 2 feet, and very understocked. Current small tank 3' 30+ish something gallon up and running for about 6-7 months, nothing at all for algae. No discernable trace. So it is possible. Just not nearly as much fun! Eventually the bug will bite me again and this tank will turn into something larger with algae.

I agree with you. i don't have an algae problem in a couple of my tanks, but then my 210 has been getting a little. Its sickly over filtrated and isn't overstocked at this point. So i don't understand. Water chemistry is something i don't want to think about. All i know is it happens, so we deal with it.

I hear ya. My 5 gallon planted tank along with my 10 gallons that have plants, have no algae. Yet my 35gal planted and my 90 gal planted I seem to have on going algae issues. Seems once I finally get rid of one type of algae, another one comes creeping up on me.

Those gorgeous planted tanks you see are nurtured all the time. They are probably always trimming plants, fertilizing all the time, never forgetting to refill CO2 etc. Once you have one thing go off balance, all hell breaks loose. My biggest problem is remembering to fill my CO2 canisters every couple of weeks, and that's when the algae starts to take over :mad: