Fishless Cycle Won't Complete

RickJ

35 Gal Tank

2 Filters Aquaclear 30 & 70

I've had my tank go for about 6 weeks, was not able to start the cycle until just 2 weeks ago as I could not find clear ammonia.

I finally found some at Safeway, I started adding some every day until my Ammonia spiked at about 5 then a few days later my Nitrites starting rising until they hit 5. Shortly after my Nitrates hit around 10. Then the ammonia went quickly to zero. it seemed that the cycle was about to begin.

Now:

still no ammonia (I have not been adding anymore should I?)

Nitrites still at 5 and not going down or up after 10 days

Nitrates have dropped to below 5.

PH Around 7.8 - 8.0

I've done several 10 and 20% water changes

I've added some "Cycle"

Do I need to add some more ammonia, and other ideas why the cycle has not continued?

Rick

Yes, you need to add ammonia daily to feed the bacteria. I initially dose enough ammonia to get it to 5ppm. Then I dont' add anymore ammonia until I see it start going down. I then add enough ammonia to keep it reading 5ppm(*dont' add 5ppm more, only enough to bring it back up to 5ppm). At the beginning, before you start to see the ammonia going down, if you add 5ppm of ammonia daily your ammonia reading will be crazy high. Don't add anymore until your readings start to go down.

Next your nitrites show up. This step takes a bit longer then the ammonia step. Keep adding ammonia(enough to bring it back to 5ppm) and wait until you see the nitrites spike and then come back to zero.

When your tank is done cycling it should read: 0-ammonia, 0-nitrites and high nitrates 24hrs after dosing the ammonia. Then do a large water change to remove the nitrates and you are good to go.

You dont' need to do any water changes during a fishless cycle, only at the end.

Edited by degrassi

How long should it take to do complete a fishless cycle?

It can depend on a couple things like how much ammonia you dose, temp, or if you put used material in your filter.

I had my 58g fishless cycle in 12days(5ppm ammonia, added 1 used filter sponge) but my 90g took 3 weeks(5ppm ammonia, no used filter).