Bolivian Rams

Fergy

I have two (previously 3) bolivian rams. They were all eating well and get along just fine at first, then one spontaneously died. I've been checking all params carefully since then, and everything has been fine. The two surviving (1m/1f, not 100% on that though) I haven't seen eating anything for over a week.

One is very dark in the body and the eyes, the other is lighter coloured. The darker one hides all day, and comes out almost immediately after I turn out the lights. The other one behaves normally, other than not eating. Both have a sort of stringy, white excrement.

I've read that this could be an internal parasite of some kind? I went to get meds to treat internal parasites but could only find varieties to treat the external varieties at my LFS. Any real difference in the medications?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated, thanks.

Oh, and it's a 33gal with a HOB and small sponge filter, very lightly planted with the only current tank mate being a bronze cory who is very healthy.

Definitely sounds like parasites. I would go to one of the LFS that has staff more knowledgeble in fish diseases. I know Henry at Nature's Corner knows A TONNE about diseases, and has some great refernce material that he will look up with you. NC also has a good selection of meds; however, sometimes you do need to get the medication from a vet.

NLS Thera + A usually gets most fish eating, and soaking it in the medication will help your fish. I know there are others on the site who've had excellent experience in treating and saving their fish, and I'm sure they'll chime in to help you as well.

I am having challenges as well. I haven't lost any yet, but I have a couple that weren't looking so good.

I have been soaking their food in PraziPro, which is supposed to treat parasites and I think it is helping. I don't think you would need to use that one specifically, but I have had some reasonably good experience with it. I find that if you compare the ingredients from one brand to another, you will find that each of the targeted meds usually have the same active ingredients in them. (Not always, but I have saved a buck here and there...)

Since they are not eating, you probably need to see about getting something in the water to get them healthy enough to get some appetite back, then treat their food.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the middles of finals right now so I don't really have time to head to NC or anywhere that far away from me, so I picked up what I thought would be my best choice out of the limited selection at my LFS. I got the API powder general parasite remedy, and just dosed the second course. I did the first application 2 days ago and it seems to have helped considerably since then, so hopefully I've dealt with whatever it was.