Camallanus help

cichlidkid

ok this sounds kinda weird but I dont know wat is going on. my little festaes seem to have a bunch of little red hairs sticking out their @$$. the come out just before, during and just after my fish take a crap. what are these thing?I can post a pic if you request. oh and when the excrement is coming out they are the longest. at the longest they are a but less than half a centemeter.

Edited by cichlidkid

yea that sounds like it. how deadly are those parasites? and where do I get Metronidazole

is there any immediet cure? and once the worms are dead how do the fish expell them or do they?

how expensive is this stuff? I would rather treat the entire tank to be safe. and you still didnt answer my question

I think its about 10$ for the 5g of seachem metronidazole. You should treat the whole tank. YOu take the Met powder and mix it in hot water. Then soak your pellets in that. Then feed them the soaked pellets.

As for your other questions. I dont' know the answers as i've never had camallanus.

grams of metronidazole to grams of food ratio?

thanks so much for your help val

ok help. the metron. isnt working. I tried fluke tabs and it cured it a bit. what do I use?? I think time may be running out. I cant find levemisole or whatever it is called either.

what will treat this????????

help please my festaes are begging you

OK i looked in my fish health book and it said this-

"Piperazine citrate: However, one method which has been used with apparent success to treat livebearers infested with camallanus nematodes involves mixing 25mg of peperazine citrate with each 10gm of flaked fod, which then fed to the infested fish over 5-10days. "

This is just part of the quote in the book. Not sure where you would find piperazine citrate??? It also says levimazole(sp?) is good for treating a variety of nematodes.

Hopefully someone that has had to deal with this will come help you :)

thanks.

yea I have been feeding then met. soaked stuff since you suggested it. also I have even fed them frozen met mixed with the frozen blookworms (thawed the bloodworms, added the metron and re-froze. nothing, I can still see the worms and untill last night when I put in the fluke tabs, it looked as if it was getting worse :(

callamanus worms can be devestating to the entire stock of your tank. They are livebearers, dropping live worms into the tank where the other fish eat them and the cycle is repeated. The normal medications for internal worms will not work with callamanus. These worms attach themsef to the intestine and stomach lining of the fish and even proper treatment may not save the fish as the worms will die inside the fish and decay causing the fish to slowly perish. O.k, so how to you get rid of callamanus worms. Well it used to be very easy all you had to do was go to your local feed lot store and buy a product call Lavimisole injectable and pour a little bit into the tank and the worms would be gone very quickly. Now at least in Manitoba that product is not available in that form anymore. There is another product that will work that is available from a large animal Vet and is called "SafeGuard: Doseage is about 6cc for a 70 gallon tank. 3 treatments are normally required and it will turn your tank water completely milky but is safe for both fish and plants. The best bet is to check for Levamisole in the powdered form. or injectable. It is sure fire cure for callamanus. I have some on order from the U.S and have my fingers crossed that it will get across the border with no problems. Although these medications are not prohibited in Canada they can be difficult to convince customs to allow through. These worms can be spread from tank to tank by nets, hands etc. so be careful if you have multiple tanks. Quarantine of new fish is no guarantee against callamanus which are quite common in wild caught and pond rasied fish as they may not show the tell tale red threads for more than 30 days in infected fish. Good luck.

Rick

Rick

shi*

I cannot find that levemsole and the infected red terrors have been in my community for at least two months. help what should I do??? all my prized fish are in there and it shares a water feed with my fry tank.

omg im freaking out. do their babys look like spinning little silver worms?

if you get some of that stuff please send some to me. I will pay VERY handsomly.

will Discomed work? its main active ingredient is levamisole. these are :cuss: expensive fish so they better as :cuss: not die.