Tank Bowing

humpty

Okay so I have an 80g tank that has one of those plastic lids. I have decided to add in some supports so I can use glass tops. Now I just noticed that the middle of the tank is 3/8" longer then the sides. This would mean that the glass is bowing approximately 3/16" on each side. I read somewhere that it was okay for glass to bow half the width of the glass thickness. The glass on this tank is 3/8" which would make acceptable bowing 3/16", which I'm at.

Anyway the question I have is when I brace the tank should I cut the center brace the same size as the ends and just clamp the glass into the brace so its all the same width? This is the way the make more sense to me. Or should I cut the brace the size of the bow and not push the glass in? This would hold the glass from bowing further. The first way seems better to me but I just wanted to make sure that pushing it in would not affect the integrity of the glass or something.

You should drain the tank down to below the half way point. Then clamp your center brace into place using the same length as the ends. Also make the cener brace about 6" accross.

I've never done it, but being somewhat construction minded, I would recommend making the center brace the same width as the tank is at the ends (i.e the width the tank is supposed to be in the middle without bowing). Silicone the ends of the brace real good and then use two large clamps to draw the front and back glass togetherto squeeze the middle brace. Once the silicone is cured, remove the clamps, and voila! your good to go. If you were close to me I could even lend you the clamps.

*edit, and oh ya, drain the tank as much as possible of coarse.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

okay thats what I was going to do. The piece will be 6"-8" wide depending on the size my buddy has left. Now it should be okay to fill the tank back to 3/4 after the piece is siliconed in, but while the clamps are still on, Because the clamps should hold the glass in place without it bowing right?!

I had my tank builder do a similar repair on a customer tank when I owned my store and it was recommended by them to keep the tank water as low as possible for 10 - 14 days after installing the brace.

Not to argue with a "tank builder", but 10-14 days would be serious overkill. Once the silicone is cured its cured, waiting longer doesn't make it "more cured". Ha ha.

People don't even wait that long after building a new tank!

I had my tank builder do a similar repair on a customer tank when I owned my store and it was recommended by them to keep the tank water as low as possible for 10 - 14 days after installing the brace.

Not to argue with a "tank builder", but 10-14 days would be serious overkill. Once the silicone is cured its cured, waiting longer doesn't make it "more cured". Ha ha.

People don't even wait that long after building a new tank!

I have heard that silicone can leach stuff for up to two weeks after it cured, it is not a strength issue at all.

If you contact any of the "tank builders" out there, ask them how long they recommend waiting before filling a tank. No offense but how many tanks have you built or repaired? The tank I made reference to was a 275 gallon so perhaps the size makes a difference for the 10 - 14 day time frame. It's just a recommendation anyhow, do with it what you will. You can also consider contacting Concept Aquarium in Edmonton (780-930-4242) and ask for their advice as they were my "tank builder".

Edited by Medicdude

You guys have gotten off topic. Perhaps I steered you that direction, I'll admit that. But comments like "silicone can leach stuff" doesn't help the OP. Silicone doesn't leach anything harmful after it's cured, and it will be well cured in 48 hrs, as I stated.

Chris, we all know who you are and stating "no offense" as a precurser to an insulting message, doesn't make it less offensive. I have built and repaired several tanks, including helping with a 485 gallon, not that that has any relevance whatsoever. No offense, but you should try to be a little nicer to people in your posts. (See what I mean?)

As far as staying on topic, we're not talking about building tanks, the OP asked if he would be safe to fill the tank 3/4 after the silicone is cured, and if he should leave the clamps on while it cured. I believe that's been answered. Humpty, if you have more questions, please let us know. Of coarse we are all entitled to our opinions and I'm all in favor of "spirited discussion" but lets stay on topic and keep in friendly!

Edited by Boom

• 2 weeks later...

lol you guys are funny.

Anyways i lowered the tank down to a 1/4 then siliconed in the piece and clamped it. The piece was 7" wide. I did this on tuesday morning which was the 6th. I then filled the tank back up to 1/2 so that my filter could keep running. I just took the clamp off this morning but plan to keep the water at half until tuesday giving it a full week to cure. On tuesday I will fill the tank about 90% and will wait another week to fill it completely full. Other then the condensation on the glass, which hasnt started until today when i put the lid on, there will be no water touching the silicone.

So other then a hinge which i will pick up in then next couple days my conversion from plastic lid to glass tops is complete.

Thanks for the help everyone!!