Trout Through the Ice

Slough Shark

Hello fish fans,

I went out ice fishing at Chickakoo lake with my old man for 3 hours today. We ended up seeing 6 fish and caught 4/5 for our daily limit. Each fish was about 10", definitely ripe for the belly! This was my first time catching trout, so I was very happy and amazed at there beauty up close (especially since these were brook trout). Finally, all of my trout fishing research payed off and we got to bring some tasty fish home.

I tried for some pics with my photo tank, but the fish moved around to much and the water was way to cold for me to use my hand to hold it in place. I will have to rig up a 3D background that I can move close to the front pane to trap the fish so I can get some good photos.

My first time cleaning them went quite well also, trout are much easier to clean than pike or burbot!! This lake has some fun fishing to it, and I will have to return for more (and maybe get some better pics next time too!).

MaleBrookie.jpg

MaleBrookieSkinx.jpg

Fillets.jpg

Taylor

icefishing... trout... the

Well I'm there! mmm... love trout and ice fishing. Hope you brought a pan, some eggs, and that Rocky's batter stuff...mmm good!

How far is this lake from Edmonton?

O, your right about the fish cleaning part. In my opinion ANY fish is easier to clean compared to a slimy pike! Trout are perfect for those kind of fish where you venture into the wilderness on foot, camp by a lake and catch them and eat them on a stick over a fire.

Hope you enjoyed yourself, cause I'm jealous!

Edited by Gnaw

I definitely agree with the bit about trout being a good wilderness food. Possibly the best (at least my favourite so far), though I've heard rabbit or grouse stew can be good too :huh:

This lake is about 45 minutes from Edmonton. If you need directions go get directions from google maps. Type in "A"- Edmonton and "B"- Chickakoo Lake Public Parking.

Hope that helps, it's a nice place to fish (but I prefer little fish over trophies).

Taylor

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple more from today...

Female.jpg

Male.jpg

fillets2.jpg

I really recommend anyone in the Edmonton area who enjoys ice fishing to come out to this lake for some fish. I saw 14 fish today in the 3 hours I was out. Only caught 2 because I got a little too excited and tried to set the hook to quickly :lol:

I can't wait to get out here in the spring to try spin-casting for these fish, then I can get some pics with my photo tank :thumbs:

Nick,

There were a few people out today that were using old holes that other ice fishermen left, so you can scavenge for those. Or you could just ask someone to drill, if it's a weekend there's sure to be some tents out there. As for tackle, you can just head out to Canadian Tire and get a set of small ice fishing jigs. They aren't expensive and work great (I can post some examples if you want). Then just get some good line (I like 10 lb test when ice fishing) and a few flat sticks of wood. I'm sure you'd have some laying around with your 100 gallon restoration project. I use shims for mine. Then just tie the line on lengthwise and wrap it around a bunch of times. There's your rod!

I never use actual fishing rods for ice fishing, the reeling process leaves to much time for the fish to get off IME, so I just use these jigging sticks and you pull the fish straight up and out of the water! Ice fishing can be extremely cheap if you allow it!

Cheers buddy,

Taylor

Thanks! That male (second pic) had phenomenal colours, my shots don't do him justice by any stretch. I hope I can catch some like him in the summer, underwater pics of a fish like that would really look great.

The male had quite a few parasites on his digestive tract, but I'm pretty sure I got them all. I'm pretty sure after freezing and being baked with onions (anti parasitic properties) whatever is left will be neutralized.