All female guppies?????

Guppygirl

Hi Everyone, :)

I am just back into breeding guppies after trying my hand at breeding corydoras-big success with bronze corydoras. I have one puzzle thou- it seems like all my fry-some 50-75 are all female, could only spot one male in the whole bunch. I do know that some males display late as they mature. Could this be it, or do I have something that is affecting the male female ratio. By no means am I sad that I have more females as that means more babies which I love-but I do love the brightly colored males. I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else?

Also I seem to be battling clamped fin in that tank- I am treating for ich as some were flashing- Is there any other fish disease that can cause clamped fin in fish other then ich??? :unsure: Only some of the fish are clamped others namely the adults, and older juvies are fine. Thanks for any info.

You might want to do some research on the net about sex ratios. I'm not sure about guppies - it's been about 18yrs since I last had some - but, many fish sex ratios are affected by temp.

As far as clamped fins... how's your ammonia and/or nitrIte? If you have ANY, it could be your problem. Live plants, WCs and NEVER rinsing your biomedia will help. Otherwise, adding some melafix and/or pimafix may help. Additional airation and temps around 78 may also be needed.

• 2 weeks later...
:) Well mother nature sure showed me :bang1: :blush: that I was wrong about the fry all being female. The males are now developing- and they seem to be a pretty snakeskin variety, with a few blueish ones. As I have three orange and yellow snakeskin males and only one blue males the odds are for more snakeskin. Thou the females are mainly blue-black. Only time will tell what kinds of young develop-that is half the fun as a fish breeder seeing the final result. :heart: :thumbs: