i used water softner salt to grow my live rock from scrack and it worked

i was given about 100 lbs plus of dead rock so i put it in a 40 g tank 10 flow pumps 2 skimmers and 2 garden lights lol its been over a month 4 water changes and no amonia no more also i have crabs in it like 20 and there living with out any problems what i want to no is can i use the same salt for my 90 and 50 g salt tanks or is this just a fluke also my ph 8.3 nitrates nitrite 1.0 1.5 and salt is perfect

I wouldn't use it for an actual tank. Synthetic sea salt has a multitude of trace elements in it that your animals will need to survive. Have you done any other test on the water, for instance calcium?

Did you put some fresh rock in with the dead stuff? Where did the crabs come from?

I was thinking of using some softener salt and some reef crystals to get some dry base rock going. Keep us updated on the progress of your experiment.

I wouldn't use it for an actual tank. Synthetic sea salt has a multitude of trace elements in it that your animals will need to survive. Have you done any other test on the water, for instance calcium?

Did you put some fresh rock in with the dead stuff? Where did the crabs come from?

I was thinking of using some softener salt and some reef crystals to get some dry base rock going. Keep us updated on the progress of your experiment.

i talked yo my salt water gurus and they said its fine yo youse but the trace stuff is,nt there how ever theres a bottle of chemicals that makes the water perfect excepT ph for that i put in backing soda and brought it up to 8.4 8.5 i yoused half a box of it yo make it right the chemical is like 22 $ if you want to see a pic mzg me back and ul send ya a few also i took a water samples yo aquairm enthousits and the guy there new ago i was just by what i said and the test therew him to he's going to post on here for me about it bc lots of people thought i was on crack so if you want to try it just make sure you have that chemical stuff calcium and baking soda and sifto water softner salt and nave at it good luck oh btw so far its saved me 130 $ plus 140 lbs of rock

With the free rock and using you cheap salt you've saved yourself about $1000. Nice. You can always put $1000 bucks to work on a salt setup.

What brand of chemical stuff did you use, I assume it is trace minerals. Calcium and baking soda are cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

At fist glance this seems to be working. He brought some into the store (AE) as well as some standard SW and I tested it. All the levels turned out fine. I would like to see how stable the system will be long term.

• 6 months later...
Have either one of you ever tested water made up with just the softener salt? I've got the test kits out right now maybe I'll find some salt and test it out.

A small note, here...

I'm new at the whole reef thing, but I happen to work at a salt plant. Straight Water Conditioning salt, much like our Safety Salt (not saying where I work- but our salt starts with a W...) is just fine- it's pure salt, no additives.

Pelletized versions, however, have several additions, including a soap- type product that, I daresay, would not be conducive to Reefkeeping...

i talked yo my salt water gurus and they said its fine yo youse but the trace stuff is,nt there how ever theres a bottle of chemicals that makes the water perfect excepT ph for that i put in backing soda and brought it up to 8.4 8.5 i yoused half a box of it yo make it right the chemical is like 22 $ if you want to see a pic mzg me back and ul send ya a few also i took a water samples yo aquairm enthousits and the guy there new ago i was just by what i said and the test therew him to he's going to post on here for me about it bc lots of people thought i was on crack so if you want to try it just make sure you have that chemical stuff calcium and baking soda and sifto water softner salt and nave at it good luck oh btw so far its saved me 130 $ plus 140 lbs of rock

Now I am not a perfect speller but this is near impossible to read. Download Firefox and the spell check add on. It will make it much easier.

I do agree with the person that said the salt we specifically buy for our aquarium has a bunch of additives already in it and this is why we use it. I would doubt that corals, or inverts would live very long in there because you lack the chemicals they need in their everyday lives. If you come back and say you will dose then you may as well just go buy a Bucket of salt for $50, save yourself a bunch of time and money.

Alot of people seem to forget that the Marine Salt isnt just salt it is full of additives that our inhabitants need to survive. Salt isnt one thing I would skimp but dry live rock seeded with some premium rock is a good thing. It will just take a few months for it to seed throughout the tank.

• 2 months later...

Czecmate:

you said something about 'is just pure salt'... but, that does not nessecarily mean the salt is ok to use.

Did you know that Sodium Hydroxide is classified as a salt? It is nowhere near what we would use in our fish tanks. Potassium Hydroxide and Calcium Phosphate are other examples of chemical compounds that classify as salts.

Sodium Chloride is also a salt (Table Salt)... but even pure(though usually iodized which makes it even less acceptable), is still not reccomended for a saltwater tank.

Unless you know exactly the chemical formula of the salt, and that it is acceptable to use, it is best to stick with Marine Salts. These salts will allow the water the ability to dissolve the correct amounts of oxygen for your animals, and also provide most of the important trace elements your animals need, especially with regular water changes. This will greatly simplify the process you go through, reduce the amount of work, and usually guarentee better results (especially if using good salt).