EBO Jagger Heater-150 W-Normal?

shocker

I recently got back into fish after 20 years. Not used to the new fangled heaters. I bought a used 46 gal and it came with an Ebo Jagger 150 W heater. The blue setting ring on top is really hard to turn and it seems that I have to set the temperature about 3 C lower than I want. It seems to cycle on and off fine. I run it vertically and don't completely immerse it as some people do.

Can you take these things apart and clean, lube, inspect? Is this normal? Is it normal to to be accurate to what you set it to?

Thanks for any help. Picses says they don't like Ebo J heaters...too many fail. Any thoughts?

Sadly, the quality of Ebo Jager heaters has decreased since Eheim took over. I, like many others, had a newer one fail while all my older ones are still working great. I do find that they are almost never calibrated properly straight out of the box. Do NOT take it apart, they are not meant to be user serviceable.

• 3 months later...

I have several of these heaters, 4 or 5, that I've purchased between 1-4 years ago. All but one keep the temp within .5 degrees of their set temp on the top ring, one of them reads 2 degrees off, but still maintains within .5 degrees of the temp it runs at (2 degrees warmer than the ring set).

Like it was said, dont take it apart. Just calibrate it to whatever degrees its off by.

Chris