Sick Frontosa - HELP!!!

Lana Bollers

I have a frontosa that is thin and his body is curving like a "C". I have never seen this before, he almost looks retarded... I never noticed anything last night and this morning when i fed I did it quickly and went off to work.

Can anyone tell me what is potential problem could be and how do I fix it?

Edited by Lana Bollers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand where it would of came from if that is what it is... he can straighten out and swim fast if he wants to, but he doesn't always want to... I think I will euthanize him, I think that would be the best for my other fish and if I see anymore signs of this in that tank, I will have to euthanize that fish and tear it all down and bleach it out and let it dry before restocking... gosh I hope that is not what it is, I have not added anymore fish in quit some time and it said it can take up to three weeks to show...oh wait I added to pleco's... just last week... but they are not showing any signs nor are the rest of the fish...wonder if he just got stressed with the new additions...ugh...i am getting stressed.

He is eating normally, but he is so skinny, he is not sucked up on the gut, he looks like someone sat on him and squished him flat, except his head ... if that makes sense... He was acting more normal the last time I went and checked on him... it is just bazzaare I have never seen anything like that before... I don't know what to make of it.

You can see how skinny he is in the dorsal view photo... you can see he still drops his fins and from a quick glance looks okay...

post-3515-1231564632_thumb.jpg

post-3515-1231564684_thumb.jpg

post-3515-1231564695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lana Bollers

That fish DEFINITELY needs some TLC by the looks of it, its skinny as hell. I'd personally put it in a quarantine tank and pump it full of food.

I have a frontosa that is thin and his body is curving like a "C". I have never seen this before, he almost looks retarded... I never noticed anything last night and this morning when i fed I did it quickly and went off to work.

And by the looks of it he doesn't have enough muscle mass to straighten himself out, he looks very weak just by how thin he is. I would put that little guy in his own tank, is he getting bullied by other fish or being out competed for food? It looks like it.

How long have you had the fish ? and are you sure he is eating well not just mouthing the food and spitting it out later. Some Tanganykans are prone to wasting but I've only heard of it regarding featherfins and cyps

Holy cow Lana, that fish is as skinny as me when I was in grade 6! Ha ha.

But seriously. I agree with Quinn. Seperate that guy in as big a tank as possible BY HIMSELF. And feed feed feed. Lots of protien! The big tank will allow him to swim and build up some much needed muscle.

Don't get carried away thinking about tearing down the tank and bleaching everything. That's just over-reacting!

Boom :boom:

I just have to obtain some water, my son's betta died, he was pale for a week, not sure what happened there, I have that 30 gal, that I can probably put him in... I have put lots of food in the tank, where it sits on the ground and logs the last couple days...

soon as we get the water I will move him.... I do have a 10 gal and a 5 gal, the five gal only has a couple cory's in it right now... do you think he would get to stressed in the 5 gal?

The electric blue with pop eye is still in my hospital tank... his left eye decided it was going to pop out now..UGH...

As for owning that guy, I have owned him since Caressa came out this way, so a long time, I think since August or something like that...

Firstly I only have 9 frontosa's I have had two since June and the other seven since August or so...

We have to get water because we live on a farm, our water is way to hard and has softening salt in it... even with our filtration it still turns my tub orange in one day.... so I obtain water from town to ensure my fish are obtaining the best possible water I can provide them... the water is not store bought it comes from my husbands place of work...

I have never had any problems with my frontosa's before... so I take your post as you be an A$$, I also have only had a couple sick fish, most when I first started back in July in the hobby... sorry I am not as fluent in the aquarium hobby as you are.... guess when I am learning I am not allowed to make errors or ask for help.

As for feed they get shrimp and NLS... all my fish are on nls. by the way all other fish in that tank are fine!

Edited by Lana Bollers