Repairing hole in bottom of tank

firestorm

I obtained a 60 gallon aquarium from my boss that I will be using for aquatic turtles soon. Problem is it has a hole drilled in the bottom because it used to be hooked up to a sump. I need to repair it using a piece of glass and siliconing it over top, but I just was wondering if anyone can tell me how thick the piece of glass should be, and how much wider than the hole itself? Thanks :)

Why wouldn't you just screw a male PVC/ABS pipe plug into the internal threads in the center of the bulkhead fitting? If there is no bulkhead fitting, just buy one & then plug it:)

James

I obtained a 60 gallon aquarium from my boss that I will be using for aquatic turtles soon. Problem is it has a hole drilled in the bottom because it used to be hooked up to a sump. I need to repair it using a piece of glass and siliconing it over top, but I just was wondering if anyone can tell me how thick the piece of glass should be, and how much wider than the hole itself? Thanks :)
Edited by James (Western Canada)

Why wouldn't you just screw a male PVC/ABS pipe plug into the internal threads in the center of the bulkhead fitting? If there is no bulkhead fitting, just buy one & then plug it:)

James

I thought about that, but when it comes to plumbing and stuff I am kinda retarded lol. I think it would just be easier to just lay another piece of glass over top, since I do know how to silicon. Just also wondering if there is a specific type of glass I should or should not use? because I do have some glass, maybe about 1/4" thick that would probably be the right size, but don't know if it would be the right type of glass to use. I just don't want any problems with it breaking or anything.

I used 6 mil glass on the 2 '' hole on my 240. Worked like a charm.

There is no specific type of glass needed, when I cover drilled holes I just use a piece of leftover glass that's larger than the hole.

or it being a turtle tank use it as it is and and put a smp under keeps the water cleaner and will be easy to clean

How much money would you think it would cost to put a sump system in? My boss would help me build it if I asked him. It only has the one hole in the bottom, doesn't have an overflow or anything, so would you suggest just running the output over the side of the tank and the intake through that hole? I was going to use a large canister filter for filtration, but I guess that could be an option. It all depends on what is cheaper to do. My only concern too is that if I do a sump system, with the intake being on the bottom like that, I won't be able to use sand as a substrate. I am open to any ideas though. Thanks for all your help so far guys :)