Boom's Woodworking

Boom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Geez... I always seem to fall behind on posting my projects here on AA. I post them on several woodworking web sites, but always seem to forget about posting them here.

Anyway, here are a few more completed projects.

A ring box I made for my wife for our 5th wedding anniversary. Made of rare tulipwood. Tulipwood is a type of South American Rosewood, and one of the rarest and most expensive woods you can find, especially in any decent size. It's an extremely beautiful pinkish red color, has amazing grain, and the pictures just don't do it justice.

P1040592.jpg

P1040593.jpg

P1040594.jpg

P1040595.jpg

P1040596.jpg

I decided to also try my hand at making some kids toys. There are 5 happy young boys including my own son and nephews, that received these trucks for Christmas. I only had a poor quality picture of a similar one made by another woodworker, to work off of. No plans.

These are solid hardwood (maple, mahogany, walnut, pine, and oak) and finished with shellac. As you can see, I also personalized them with the boys' names on the back (in walnut).

P1040603.jpg

P1040604.jpg

P1040607.jpg

P1040606.jpg

Oh, ya, and I made a few little "hot rod" cars to go to the younger boys.

P1040608.jpg

P1040609.jpg

Edited by Boom

I was asked to build a small keepsake box for the sister of one of the boys I built a truck for. She's 5 yrs old. It was kind of a last minute request so I was a bit rushed. The box turned out well, but it could have been better. I decided to incorporate a "hidden" drawer for her (last picture). I think little girls like that kinda stuff. I also put her name on the front.

This one is figured maple and purpleheart.

P1040633.jpg

P1040634.jpg

P1040635.jpg

P1040636.jpg

P1040637.jpg

Edited by Boom

I built this box for my neice for Christmas. She is 8 yrs old and I thought she could use it for her hair clips and those types of things. I was very happy to watch her face light up when she opened the present, she really liked it.

It's called a bandsaw box, similar to the one I sold (see the link above). This one is made of Australian lacewood with bubinga handles. The insides of the drawers are flocked with soft suede.

P1040631.jpg

P1040628.jpg

P1040632.jpg

P1040626.jpg

P1040627.jpg

Boom :boom:

Hey Ryan, fantastic work!! That entertainment cabinet you built looks awesome in person, the detail and finish is just incredible. I have to say, you are one person that keeps his word. My buddy spoke to 5 people over a 2 year period that claimed they are a custom builder of furniture and building a entertainment cabinet is no problem. You are the only one that stepped up to the plate. Hats off to you!!!! Not only did you take on the task, but the workmanship is next to none. :bow: :bow:

Good luck on your next project.

• 1 month later...

Here's a few more projects I just completed.

Here is a simple project that the LOML asked me to make for her. She recently returned to work and wanted something to rest her feet on under her desk. Some of her co-workers had cheap plastic versions of this footrest, but we wanted something a little more special.

I had a nice ash board in my stock pile that had this beautiful grain, and I used walnut to contrast. The height and angles were figured out for her comfort, and I decided to incorporate some simple inlay on the edges.

The finish had to be durable so it is about 4 coats of professional poly.

Thanks for looking.

SAP_0110.jpg

SAP_0113.jpg

SAP_0103.jpg

SAP_0112.jpg

This table was made for a former co-worker that I have done several past projects for as well. He seems to like my work.

He asked that a small side table be made for his bedroom, where he could have some storage space under the lid. He gave me some dimensions and left the wood choices with me. The past projects I have done for him have all been maple, including curly maple, and so I decided to use that again. I also had this sigle bubinga board in my wood collection that I had but but didn't use for a different project.

This table is 40" long, 11 3/4" wide, and 23" tall. The inside space is 3" deep. It is a fairly straight forward design. I incorporated a taper to the bottom third of the two inside edges of each leg. The legs are all cut from a single piece of wood. The customer wanted the top to lock securely, and so that the lock didn't stick out sorely, I decided to add some bubinga inlayed around it. The finish on this table is numerous coats of wipe on gloss poly, sanded in to help fill the open grain of the quarter sawn bubinga.

Thanks for looking.

SAP_0122.jpg

SAP_0134.jpg

SAP_0137.jpg

SAP_0148.jpg

SAP_0136.jpg

SAP_0143.jpg

SAP_0140.jpg

SAP_0145.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is the latest box I made.

I'm considering selling it, interested parties, please PM me. Would make a fantasic mothers day gift!

It is made of very nicely figured maple and hawaiian koa. Koa is an extremely hard to get wood as the tree grows only in the upper mountains of Hawaii and it is illegal to harvest. Consequently, only small amounts of this beautiful wood can be obtained from already fallen trees and stumps. It is a very rare and valuable wood.

This box measures 8 1/4" long, 5 1/2" wide, and 2 3/4" tall. The inside bottom is black velvet lined.

Thanks for looking!

RPS_0007-1.jpg

RPS_0002-1.jpg

RPS_0005-1.jpg

RPS_0006-1.jpg

RPS_0003-1.jpg