1...2...3...4... SCREAM!!!!!!

Erin

ok... same drill this time I know what it is.... I'm having another bacteria bloom. I dunno what cause it this time... My tank has been set up for about 2 and 1/2 months now. No one has died, ever really. Its the same as last time.

I haven't done anything to it, no new food, no new plants or fish. I did a 35% water change today, as it was 1 week since last one. Fish are fine, water levels are fine. I just don't get it!

Is there something I doing wrong? or is this normal to have two different blooms in what 2 weeks??

Erin

What are the levels in your tank somtimes over feeding can cause algea blooms in aquariums, Also i belive this was a left over from your original bloom. How long did you leave the lights off and cover the tank for? ?You could swing buy golds aquariums and pick up a small UV sterilizer for your tank.

Edited by CORVETTE

Are you adding fertilizers for your plants? Using phosphate and iron fertilizers at the same time will cause a precipitate to form, clouding the tank for a day or two.

Changing the water and disturbing the substrate and/or filter a lot can cause a temporary bacterial bloom. Should go away on its own after a couple days.

Are you adding fertilizers for your plants? Using phosphate and iron fertilizers at the same time will cause a precipitate to form, clouding the tank for a day or two.

Changing the water and disturbing the substrate and/or filter a lot can cause a temporary bacterial bloom. Should go away on its own after a couple days.

Hmmm, Well I know its not an algae bloom, just a bacterial bloom. I only change my water once a week usually only 20% to 30%. Should I do smaller ones or go two weeks at a time? As for fertz.... I haven't added any in a few weeks due to the bloom from the other time. I use Flourish by seachem when I do put any in. Is this one not that good??

As for my lights, I have them on for 8 hours, on a pre set timer.

Stop feeding for at least 3 days.Do a large water change (at least 50-60%) vacuuming out the gravel. After the 3rd day do a water change and tidy up in the gravel and rocks. IMO 20-30% water changes are not always enough. I do 50% weekly on all my tanks. About every 3 months I tear apart the non planted tanks (most of them ) and give a really good gravel cleaning because I am guilty of overfeeding. Keep in mind if you do a good cleaning leave the filter alone or you'll lose too much good bacs and cause a mini cycle.

The bacterial bloom is almost always too much "food" in the tank, you'll need to starve the bloom and this means your fish will have to go on a fast . This won't hurt them at all , it'll be good as it'll clean out their systems. If at the end of 3 days there isn't enough improvement you may need to do a few more days. This bloom can not survive without being fed. You might want to leave the lights off but only to keep the fish calmer during this time, it'll be a repose for them . IME this is the best and most effective way to deal with it . I prefer not to use additives/chemicals to treat the simptoms, best to cure the problem .

Edited by Qattarra