water conditioners

Crystal

I am a ways from the nearest LFS (2 hours), so my water conditioner choices are limited.

I used to buy Aquasafe, it removes heavy metals, chlorine, chloramines, etc. Worked great. Then they got rid of the original brand and replaced it with a spin-off with "new with BioExtract". It was the only kind they had, and I was out, so I got it. By chance/fluke I discovered that this new brand has large amounts of AMMONIA :shock: . Great if you wanted to do fish-less cycling, a losing battle if you are trying to keep nitrates down...

I am now using Aquaplus with no problems.

Anyone else know of other conditioners that have strange side-effects? (sorry if this breaks a vendor review rule)

A lot of municipalities are using Chloramine to treat water - a chlorine/ammonia bond that lasts longer than just chlorine and kills all the yulies. Many water conditioners will break the bond and sequester the chlorine, but do nothing with the ammonia... thus an instant ammonia reading. Prime does the same thing, but binds the ammonia in a form that is easily used by the nitrifying bacteria, but is not harmful to fish. That's why many of us use Prime - always good!

Crystal, I used Aquaplus for years with no problems at all. I recently switched to Prime though, which is supposed to be the best.

I order it online from HERE delivered right to my door, for FAR CHEAPER than I can get it anywhere in a store. If hey don't carry the good stuff in a store near you, order online and save yourself some money and hassle!

Boom :boom:

Crystal, I used Aquaplus for years with no problems at all. I recently switched to Prime though, which is supposed to be the best.

I order it online from HERE delivered right to my door, for FAR CHEAPER than I can get it anywhere in a store. If hey don't carry the good stuff in a store near you, order online and save yourself some money and hassle!

How much does it cost for shipping? At Gold's a 2L jug is $63 or something like that, so if shipping makes it less than that even still, that would be a great buy.

I use Prime as well, used to use the hagen Aquaplus, but found I went through it too fast. The nice thing about prime as well is that you only have to use 1 capful for every 50 gallons of water, most others require 1 capful for every 10 gallons. So a little goes a long way, and you end up saving money in the long run.

I like that link... Cheap shipping for all supplies and has more variety than the LFS. :thumbs:

Hmm... This site could cost me money (though save $50 in gas!) :D

I believe I will have to bookmark this site... and share it on a few other forums...

Thanks for showing me this one!

PS: Is 4L actually four liters? like a milk jug? How much water would that treat?!

Edited by Crystal

I like that link... Cheap shipping for all supplies and has more variety than the LFS. :thumbs:

Hmm... This site could cost me money (though save $50 in gas!) :D

I believe I will have to bookmark this site... and share it on a few other forums...

Thanks for showing me this one!

PS: Is 4L actually four liters? like a milk jug? How much water would that treat?!

Your welcome Crystal. I only recently found it myself and ordered for the first time a few weeks ago. I was amazed at how fast the delivery was, how cheap alot of things are on there, and I do believe it says on the site that free shiping over $200.

I bought a 2L of Prime which should last quite a while for my tanks. A 4 litres would treat A LOT of water! I also bought a 2L of Melafix (which will last forever!) and 2 digital thermometers for less than half of what I've seen them in stores. I'm very happy with them so far.

Edited by Boom

A 4L jug would probably treat a 50 gallon tank for over a couple of years if doing weekly water changes, let's just put it that way. If you only have a single tank, a 2L should suffice for quite a long time as well, but if you are like me and have multiple tanks, a 4L would probably be the best route to go.