How to cure Fin rot

Newbettabreeder

Well I just saved a sick Betta he looked young and good for breeding but he has Fin rot and I'm not sure what to use on him I'm treating him with bettafix.

Betta fix is actually diluted melafix.

i'd try some aquarium salt Dose as per instructions on the container*DO NOT USE TABLE SALT

The Melafix/bettafix should help him rebuild his fins.

If you are good at math buy melafix and dose like you would bettafix taking into account the dilution ratios on the bottles

The other thing is feed him freeze dried blood worms. They love them and my betta is growing his fins back beautifully after a slight accident with a gravel vac.

Hope this might help. I'm not sure if the salt will help but it might and it can't hurt. I just don't know what bacteria or whatnot causes fin rot.

Good luck

L

P.S. Clean water is your best friend when you have a sick fish so either put him in a large container(at least 3 gallongs*food grade with no soap used)

or try daily partial water changes

i

Well I can see the pine cone affect :(

The pine cone effect would be called dropsy, It is caused by fluid build up in the kidneys and the fish can not excrete this fluid. Also caused by bacterial infection, parasites, cancerous tumors, internal fungal infection, or sudden drop in temp of 3 degrees or more. However with all the betta's, gourami's, & paradise fish that I have bred in the past I have not been able to find a cure. If this is in fact dropsy, It's only a matter of days before your fish makes a trip to the big fish pond in the sky.

Dark angel is right. If it is dropsy, it's very difficult to cure. I have had about 3 fish that have gotten dropsy before, never could aid them back to health. Within a week or so they passed away. Dropsy is not typically a main disease, usually it is a secondary infection brought on after another infection.