Puffer Help

Baby G

I have a Green Spotted Puffer who is around a year now and it's teeth are starting to be grown (he is still able to eat.) His main diet is Shrimp and krill, I have tried numerous time to feed him snails. How do people feeding them the snails??? He will hand feed but won't touch the snails, when I drop the snial in the tank they burry under the gravel...should I take the gravel out? I have tried not feeding him so that he will try the snail, this has not worked. I have stuffed snail shells with krill the best I could but he suckes the krill out. I am aware that the shells need to be the size of his eye but still no luck.

I am now resorting to trimming his teeth. I have read many articles on this but still am hesitant. Does anyone have any words of advice?

Thank you

Baby G

Just make sure not put put too much clove oil. Try to do it in less 30 seconds. My first time trimming my puffs teeth...I ended up trimming only the upper and left the lower until a few days later. My hands were shaking. Were gloves...use those cuticle nippers (I think that's what it is called).

I feed mine crushed snails...they still need to crunch through it so it helps. I also fed my ol' puffer live crayfish once in awhile.

Do you have the gsp in marine? I am pretty sure you already know that they are high brac...blah blah blah.

Jonah

Try giving him shrimp (like from the grocery store) with the shell on it. He might pick at the shrimp in the shell.....

Have you tried clams in shell?

That is one picky little dude that will not eat snails! All of my puffers in the past have gone nutty for snails!!

I have just dropped them in the tank and the puffer goes at them like a rotti to meat!!! Try not feeding him for a couple of days and then trying to give him the snails. It is really cool to watch them go at them too! Good luck and keep up posted!

Thank you for the responses. My little dude is in a brac tank and is as bright green as can be, I have done my homework! I was thinking about crushing a snail the other night and my girly voice said no!! I will try that this weekend after I work up the courage. What kind of snails are you useing?? I have atempted the parasitic snails out of another tank in the house are those ok? Right now I am stuffing the empty snail shells with krill and hand feeding him. He will bite the shell once or twice to get the krill and is still ble to eat, this is a tedius task (stffing tinny shells) and sometimes he magicaly sucks the krill out! I will hold off as long as I can to trim his teeth as I am sure that would be much worse on the nervs then crushing snails!!

I will keep you posted :)

Baby G