trying to breed orange laser corydoras

fleshgear

i have 5 orange laser Cory's in a bare ten gallon with a few plants thrown in and a small heater and ac filter. i have been doing a daily 30-50% water change with straight reverse osmosis water about 10- 15 degrees cooler. feeding frozen blood worms and mixing it up a little with other foods. it has been about 2 weeks now and still nothing. meanwhile in the 45 gallon community tank i do a 70 % water change an my bronze Cory's spawn twice in a week. i separated the eggs from the fist spawn and now have at least 100 babies in a 2 and 1/2 gallon tank. probably 85 % of the eggs hatched.

i want my orange lasers to spawn!!

the ro water parameters are

GH less than 20

KH less than 10

PH 6.6 - 6.8

these fish were in a comunity tank with regular water changes.

the fish seem to be happy and active in the 10 gallon tank.

if anyone thinks that i may be doing something wrong please let me know.

Thanks

Flshgear

the only thing that i am not sure of is the male to female ratio. i thought i seen two females but i was not sure.

i can tell the bronze males and female's but the lasers are harder to tell.

How long should i keep changing water? will it stress them if i do it for too long?

My females are noticibly fatter than my males. How many days have you been doing WCs? If it's just a few, then do a 90% WC w. cool water. If you've been doing it for longer, I'd wait, and do a 50% WC w. tap water this week and next, then start again w. 80-90% WC w. RO.

the maximum water change i have done is 50% I have been doing water changes for about 10 days. also i have not been adding any water conditioner at all. The RO water is bottled water. How much cooler should i go? i have been doing it about 10 degrees Celsius cooler

the maximum water change i have done is 50% I have been doing water changes for about 10 days. also i have not been adding any water conditioner at all. The RO water is bottled water. How much cooler should i go? i have been doing it about 10 degrees Celsius cooler

I have read about using snow-water in tanks to induce breeding in some fish...

Yes, one of the first guys in the city to breed C. sterbai added a 5gal bucket of snow to a 45 gal tank, after getting POed at them not spawning. He thought he killed them b/c they totally stopped moving, but when things warmed up a bit, they went wild!

I'm thinking your OLs may not be ready to spawn - if you can't tell males and females apart, then the females aren't conditioned. Start feeding them well - if you can find a grindle or whiteworm culture, they work great at conditioning Cory's.

Over the course of the next few weeks, do WCs w. regular tap water. Then, when you can see the females are all fat, set a couple of the 5 gal jugs outside for a bit (or fill 'em at one of those outdoor dispensers) and do a big WC - 80-90%. You should have success, then.

so i gave them a rest for about a week feeding them only frozen blood worms. i tried making a 80% water change twice now, and they still have not spawned. i may have to give up on them for a while and put them back into the comunity tank for a few months.

bronze corys spawn so easy! why wont these spawn?

• 2 weeks later...

So i gave up on the orange laser's but i am still trying to breed the skunk cory's and today i did a 90% water change and i put in straight cold tap water. While doing this it looked like they were going crazy and swimming into the glass and upside down. the glass started to condinsate. upon seeing this i turned on the hot water a little to bring up the temp a little. three of them were just in the corner upside down and the forth was not moving but was upright. about an hour has gone by and they are all upright. i hope they will be ok. i read the one post about putting the snow in the tank and he thought he killed them, and then they spawned. i guess i will see what happens now.