Toxic Chemicals

soliver

The salinity in the tank is kept around 1.023. It can go up a bit when the water starts evaporating.

When i acclimatize my fish, it takes about 2 hours. I slowly add a little water at a time into the bag, letting them get used to it before i add more.

Are you using one of the goofy plastic swing arm hydrometer? or are you using a refractometer? I'm guessing it is a swing arm and you salinity is Waaaay out to wack take a sample in to be tested

First off, soliver and i went to our LFS together to get the live rock. This may be a possibility why you are having so many problems...Remember how they packed your live rock? They used newspaper and then splashed some water on it after it was wrapped to keep the LR moist... Now would it be possible for some of the newsprint chemicals to leach out onto your live rock during transport? To me it makes sense because every time you wet a newspaper you can see the ink run all over. Has anyone else had experience with this? It sort of just popped into my head after reading the posts about transporting the live rock from the LFS. Our LFS in Sherwood park is relatively new to saltwater. Before they had all freshwater tanks. So maybe they didn't know...

It is relatively common to keep live rock moist like this during transport and I have not heard of any problems from the ink or other chemicals leaching from the newsprint. A fish lying at the bottom of the bag inactive while aclimatizing is unusual. It may be that 2 hours is too long to acclimatize given the size of the container. Is the tank itself well oxygenated? Are you using an overflow box and/or a skimmer to provide oxygen and gas exchange? If not, then definitely add an airstone to the tank and consider an airstone and a larger container when aclimating fish.

The salinity should be checked with a meter or refractomer. The swing arm devices are notoriously inaccurate. You can also use a good hydrometer such as you would have for making beer :)

Good luck!

Jeff

I am running out of ideas... temperature?

I have some float magnets for cleaning (Magfloat?) and I keep them out of my tanks as I opened one up some time ago and found extensive corrosion so I assume it was leaching something or other. I have also found that many submersible pumps (Genx and similar) are not as well sealed as they could be and there are rusting parts so I use them only when absolutely required and remove them from the tank otherwise.

It must be something fairly toxic for it to impact your fish so quickly.

I have heard, but not experienced, that cyanide captured fish have weakened organs and often die during acclimatization but clowns are so hardy this seems unlikely.

I hope you solve it. Do let us know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I had a similar situation happen with my tank also when it was around a month old and the same thing would happen, the fish would pretty much die over night and for the life of me I couldnt figure out what could be killing them. I also thought that perhaps there was a chemical in my tank but then it dawned on me, after much reading and research, that my tank was just too immature at the time to handle any more of a bioload and would cause my tank to have a mini-cycle. I then preceeded to wait out another month before adding fish and that seemed to help out alot. I have had all my fish alive for just over a month and they all seem to be thriving now. Good luck with your tank and happy reefing!

also i have had some negative experiences with a particular sherwood park pet store. So negative i only go there for prime in emergencies! I make the drive to the city everytime now.

I hope you solve your problem

• 2 weeks later...