Quick Fish Trap

Slough Shark

Hey folks,

Just wanted to share with you a quick method I'm trying for catching those tricky fish without ripping everything out of the tank. You need any plastic pop bottle (I usually use the smaller size since it takes up less space) and some electrical (or otherwise) tape. Cut the top of the bottle off 1/3 of the way down the length of it so that you can fit the lid section tightly into the other 2/3s, forming the trap. Just tape it up and fill the bottom with sand or rocks.

To better explain it, here's a pic:

DSC_0027-1.jpg

I used this design to catch minnows for fish bait, so I don't see why it wouldn't work in this application. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow morning.

Taylor

Yep, I've used this method before. Works great for catching loaches in a planted tank. Put a few pellets or a sinking waffer in the bottle and it wont' take long to catch them.

A good tip that Arixonbarnes told me was to drill some little holes in the body of the bottle. That way the water can flow through and not become polluted if you leave it in there too long. Then it can also be used as a strainer to "net" out the fish.

I imagine you have to untape the bottle after the fish is in it to get the fish out??

Is there any possibility of the tape adhesive introducing nasty chemicals to the water?

I've used electrical tape in my tank before and never had any problems. I use it to tape a piece of plastic to the out take of my filters, so it was in constant contact with the water. It didn't loose its stickiness either. Its been there for years and never noticed any issues.

Try using a flashlight to catch them at night... you'll need a net, too - you can't do much scooping w. a flashlight. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Made the suggested catcher last weekend, caught a yoyo the next day! Was so excited. Every day this week I've caught tetras, but not the second yoyo. I really want to get the yoyo out WITHOUT ripping up the entire tank. Any suggestions? The yoyo is in a 80g planted with about 15 tetras and 5 cories.