Firemouth's guarding eggs...now what?

shocker

UPDATE:

Eggs laid sometime Monday morning, hatched Wed night, Thurs morning. They are a million quivering fry at the back of the flower pot that the mom is guarding. Male removed a couple of days ago. How many days does it take for the firemouth fry to begin free swimming? They "appear" to still have a yolk sac but they are mobile quivering along the bottom. I want to start feeding them but can't figure out when to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Cant seem to find any info on the net that gives me a definitive time

If you're planning on breeding these guys, use the 20 as the breeder and the 10 as the grow-out. Actually, I'd start w. the 10, then move all the kids to the 20 when they get to be about 1/2". If you're getting 100+ kids you'll have to start unloading them once they hit the 1-1.5" mark.

Thanks again! I think you and I are the only ones on this website sometimes.

IF I did get lots of survivors, whats the best way to cull a few...meaning is there a market for them? Will pet stores take them in trade for a store credit?

Charles

You can sell some here or on usedcalgary or kijiji. Calgary Aquarium Society has mini auctions every meeting, a big auction at the end of march and free classified for members on their website. I get results from all of these!! It's also fun to meet more hobbyists too.

UPDATE:

Eggs laid sometime Monday morning, hatched Wed night, Thurs morning. They are a million quivering fry at the back of the flower pot that the mom is guarding. Male removed a couple of days ago. How many days does it take for the firemouth fry to begin free swimming? They "appear" to still have a yolk sac but they are mobile quivering along the bottom. I want to start feeding them but can't figure out when to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Cant seem to find any info on the net that gives me a definitive time

Right now they are "Wrigglers". When they actually start moving around, venturing out of the pot, they will be considered "Free swimming" - that's when you'll want to start feeding them.

UPDATE:

Right now they are "Wrigglers". When they actually start moving around, venturing out of the pot, they will be considered "Free swimming" - that's when you'll want to start feeding them.

YOU Da Man Jason...thanks!

UPDATE:

YOU Da Man Jason...thanks!

OKAY...I have 10 billion fry. They are all at the back of the flower pot. How do I get the food in there without just dumping it in at the surface and polluting my water trying to get the food in there? Mom wont let them leave...they try..but she spends all day circling the pot collecting kids and spitting them back into the back of the pot.

Edited by shocker

You can use a turkey baster, or siphon it in w. airline tubing from a margarine container set on the tank... or a pipet from a test kit. Or toss in an NLS H2O wafer - they stay stable fore a couple days and mom will probably chew some up and spit it for the kids, and the kids will pick at it as it softens.

Edited by jvision

You can use a turkey baster, or siphon it in w. airline tubing from a margarine container set on the tank... or a pipet from a test kit. Or toss in an NLS H2O wafer - they stay stable fore a couple days and mom will probably chew some up and spit it for the kids, and the kids will pick at it as it softens.

They are up and around swimming...but I have another issue now

I have over 200 firemouth fry in a 10 gallon. Anyone have a complete 20 gallon with stand they want to sell?

• 4 weeks later...