Reinforcing a cabinet to make a stand

catshanon

So I did some sketches and finally I think I am ready to modify my IKEA cabinet to support my 60G tank. I will be using wood screws and carpenter's glue to put the 4x4s and the plywood/particle boards.

Bare Cabinet from IKEA

BareCabinet.gif

Front view with the 4x4s and the plywood/particle boards...

CabinetWith4x4s_view.gif

I plan to put 2 sheets of wood to reinforce the cabinet. One at the bottom and one at the top. Questions are :

1) Which is better, plywood or particle board ?

2) Do I need any horizontal supports at the base and at the top of the 4x4s ?

Side view

CabinetWith4x4s_sideview.gif

When I place the tank, I will make sure that the 4 ends will be directly over the 4x4s to distribute the weight evenly. Experienced carpenters please let me know if I need any horizontal supports at the top and the bottom. :bow:

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Raj.

I agree use painted or stained plywood, handles water spills way better. Also 4x4s are way over kill for a 60 gallon tank even a 90 gallon tank for that matter. 2x4's on end are very strong and cheaper

Edited by CORVETTE

I agree use painted or stained plywood, handles water spills way better.....lol

Not only that particle board just is flimsy...easy to break crap in my opinion and I am not a carpenter by any means.

All particle board is, is sawdust glued together, it gets wet the glue can not hold it starts to fall apart, if the tank is to heavy it will just bust anyway whether or not if it is wet... just not a good idea to use cheap wood.

I know that is not what you wanted to hear.... sorry about that.

Love your drawings though, you did a fantastic job on them.

Oh as for playwood you may want to obtain a good 3/4" thick.

Lana, I used Google SketchUp to create those drawings.. Its a fantastic program and quite easy to use. You can create the models in 3D and then create 2D pictures of them at any angle that you want.

Okay, so I will go with 2x4s (thanks Corvette) and plywood. I was thinking that particle board will be cheaper than plywood, hence I opted for Pboard.

Just waiting to hear about some comments on horizontal beams....

Raj

I think everything else looks good... I will have to remember that site, I love to doodle out scetches and mess around...

Google Sketchup can be downloaded and installed on your computer...So go ahead and have plenty of fun.. There are lots of cool video tutorials too, to get you up to speed in no time... Some of the drawings/sketches are really amazing.....

I will try to do my aquascaping in that program too... Looks like I will end up with a digital version of my tank rather than the real thing... :)

No need for adding top and bottom plywood...just cut the 2x4, 3.5" short and ad a 2x4 on edge across horizontally, so the weight is carried down into the uprights and the floor.

The bottom ply adds no weight bearing strength and a ply wood top would protect the original top but is not necessary either...... if the original top is 3/4"

Set the front, 2x4 back enough so you can get the doors hung (if any) so they will fit.

No glue required just some screws.

John

I plan to put 2 sheets of wood to reinforce the cabinet. One at the bottom and one at the top. Questions are :

1) Which is better, plywood or particle board ?

2) Do I need any horizontal supports at the base and at the top of the 4x4s ?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Raj.

1) Plywood is by far better than particleboard.

2) No you don't.

All you really need to do is add the verticle 2x4's and glue /screw then to the existing cabinet parts.

Adding plywood to the top is optional to add rigidity. Just make sure you seal the edges of it with paint or whatever you plan to do, so that water can't get between the plys.

Someone said that adding plywood to the bottom doesn't do anything, and I will politely disagree. A more solid rigid base will allow you to shim the stand for leveling more effectively, so I would add it.

Boom :boom:

HI Catshanon: I am a finish carpenter and what you have drawn out is definately overkill. Go with the plywood and not particleboard, it is way more rigid and wont swell up if it gets wet like particleboard will. 4x4's are not necessary 2x4 is more then enough needed. Doing the horizontal 2x4 is a good idea but again not necessary, the vertical 2x4 are more then plenty enough to hold the 6-7 hundred pound weight with a plywood top. Since your stand is only 36" long and you have drawn 3 openings - you"ll have less then 12" between each opening after adding the 2x4's and you will be more then fine. Adding the plywood to the bottom is a good idea as someone else stated in case you do need to shim the stand to make it level, just be sure to place the shims so they are under the 2x4's you add and your good to go.