Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Blue Ram

I'm thinking of getting a juvenile (less than 2") electric blue jack dempsey. I would have to put him in my 46 gal community tank to start. This tank is a) heavily planted with crypts & swords and B) houses 4" plus roseline sharks(5), a pair of kribensis, two angels & 4 synodontis. Anyone have any comments on whether this would be a good or bad idea?

I actually thought it was the other way around Quinn. They are hard to keep alive until 4" because they have very weak immune systems and the slightest parasite takes them down. Then after they reach 4" they are strong enough to survive. The problem is getting them to the 4" mark. Just my 2 cents

It should be fine as a juvie in your community tank.

Mine died at the 5" mark, taken out by a pathogen that was introduced by a wild pleco.

All 20+ other community fish in that tank were unaffected.

IMO EBJD's are weak, overly inbred, genetic mutants.

I tried my hand with them at 2 different times, and like everyone else is saying, because the are are bred from a genetic abnormality, They tend to be smaller more passive versions of dempsey's, with weaker immune systems. Those were the only cichlids I've lost for no reason....(I lost a Terror to a nasty @$$ whoopin) but both of mine dropped without warning.

But as far as the grow out, I did that as well in a community tank. just watch for the signs of agression, and it may work out for you!

I won't spend that kind of money again on a fish with limited survival chances, but thats just me....cause I've already done it twice. -roll-

Good luck

I probably wouldn't waste money on one either. There is a reason breeders used to get rid of the ebjd fry, but for some strange reason, someone and their smart idea decided to try and raise them and sell them. I have read that they are fairly difficult to keep, and to me it is a waste of money. I say use the money for more discus :thumbs:

You'll be lucky to keep it alive past 4". They die for some reason. And if it does live, watch out for your other fish, it is a cichlid, it will kill other fish.

from what i've read on a few sites, this fish is pretty damn gentle, so i wouldn't worry to much about aggression.