LED Lighting

2hot2wheels

Are you talking about the Solaris light fixtures?

I am looking for information on any type/brand of them. I don't know anyone using any of them. I am certain that the Solaris work well but they are very expensive right now. I have seen some less expensive ones on EBAY but not sure if they would work. I am looking at fitting my new 48"x24"x24" planted tank with them.

i have a coral life lite that has the led built into a 36" fixture it has two LED's it is on a 77 gallon tank. it looks cool. i don't know what kind of difference it makes, they say it is less stressful on the fish if you use LED's.

i also made my own. i bought some automotive LED's from walmart they came in a 4 pack for $10. they work on a 12 volt system, so i found a ac/dc adapter that i had laying around the house from old appliances like old cordless phones or answering machines. anything more than 4 volts will works. then i drilled a small hole in the canopy to fit the led into. or you can put the LEDs under your existing light on the edges somewhere. this whole system cost me $10 for 4 LED's. if you buy LED's in the fish store they are $30 or more per led.

I don't think the eBay versions would have anywhere near enough light. Just have a look at how little they actually light up stuff in the picture: 11GRL003W-S225-A.jpg

T5HOs or MH is probably your best bet, since you're going to need a lot of light to reach the bottom of a 24" deep tank. Still pretty expensive, but not as bad as the Solaris fixtures. Probably the reason why there aren't many people out there with them on planted tanks.

I have used LED for my plants but they are the red/blue mix and they are set up just like the ones in the pic. I had 4 panels and the plants grew but very slowly. So in order for my tomatoes to be ready for gardening I ended up with grow bulbs from a hydro shop.