5.5G planted nano

bignose

I thought I was moving away from FW but now I'm thinking of starting a 5.5G planted nano with shrimp only. I seen some pictures and they are very nice.

But my only experience with FW plants were the plastic kind so I need some help. I know that people have a Co2 bottle but I would like to do without it.

What equipment would I need to start a 5G planted nano? Filter, Light, suppliments, substrate to make this happen?

Edited by bignose

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With only shrimp in there, you'll have next to no bioload and could skip the filter. So: light, substrate, nutrients...

Plants need carbon, so a little CO2 would be beneficial. You can easily make a DIY CO2 setup, or use one of the little yeast reactor systems on the market (Hagen, Red Sea, etc.) Another option is to use Flourish Excel.

If it's a standard 5gal, then you could probably get a regular incandescent hood for pretty cheap - less than $20, I'd expect. Then put in a couple 13W flourescent lights, and you're set for lighting. But a bottle of Seachem Excel, and now you don't have to worry about a CO2 bottle. substrate can be just about anything - if you have some sand or small gravel kicking around, use that. Otherwise post on the buy/sell forum to see what you can find - you don't need much. You'll probably want a 2" substrate.

Get a small filter (really, a small powerhead will do - you just need to circulate water) - HOB is fine, too. Then all you need is plants and shrimp!! I don't have many plants right now, but I could get you started with Cherry Shrimp - PM me if you want to make a deal.

Have plants, have fun!! :thumbs:

If you don't have an incadescent hood, then you can get small T5 fixtures. Shoot for something in the 10-30W range. I think AquaGiant has some fairly inexpensive fixtures. Often you can find some good deals on CanReef, as well. J&L Aquatics and BigAl's Online would be other places to check.

I have two 5 gallon nano's.

One has Hygrophila, Java fern, Java moss, Anubias nana, and anubias nana petite.

The other is a pauladarium with ivy, Java moss, Dwarf hygrophila, pennywort, Java fern, and not so thriving hair grass.

One has a hang on aquaclear, the other has a cheapo submersible hagan (12 bucks at Big als).

I have fluorite in both with soil underneath( probably not really necessary).

Shrimp in both tanks, green and cherry.

As for lighting i have incandescent hoods that accommodate two bulbs. I use cheap dollar store fluorescent bulbs at 9 watts, 18W total then, if i could find less wattage i would try them.

For these tanks i don't do any CO2, or dosing and they are pretty fabulous. I'll try to start a journal soon or post some updates.

With these types of plants it works quite well other then the hair grass, i've got it growing good in high tech systems but not well in this one. But the pennywort is described to be very difficult and requires high light according to tropica, but it is doing just fine and is spreading, just slower growth.

So with all that said, and with my experience with small tanks 2 things stand out.

1. Have adequate widespread flow, the little hagan is perfect for a 5 gallon. Without good glow the pennywort rotted and i got BGA, now with good flow its spreading and everything looks great, it also keeps the substrate from looking messy with detritus.

2. Not too much light. I've found that it just invites algae. So use as little as possible, but enough that it works.

Hope this helps

Devon

Good luck.

RO is in fact detrimental to plants - there are no minerals/trace elements in it that the plants need. Just use dechlorintate tap water.

I'll use dechlorinated water from now on. Should I use a couple drops of excel?

I picked up the shrimp for my tank today. 2 orange bee shrimp and a red cherry shrimp.

Here is a couple of pics.

Plantednano.jpg

Picked up a 2x9w pc fixture. kind of small but better than a desk lamp. I want to raise it up some how.

orangeshrimp.jpg

Orange Bee Shrimp

Now to find some ground covering plants.

The Java Fern (big leaves on the left side) will do better attached to the wood than set in gravel. To attach it, use thread, elastic, fishing line or staple.

You're off to a great start! :thumbs:

Edited by jvision