Bringing fish in from the States

Has anyone done the paperwork necessary to bring fish in from the United States? Are there any websites I can go to that would help me put together the information needed?

Thanks for your help.

This will be interesting.

I haven't found any site yet that will ship live criters to Canada, too much BS to make it worthwhile for small orders, is what I've been told.

Rick

Quinn might know some details. I know that's he ordered in from Ken's Fish and some other places in the states.

Yes that I do Ray :)

Sometimes it is required that you fill out American fish and wildlife papers, and they charge you $100 for the paperwork as well as a clean title of shipment to Canada. You need to ask your shipper about this. A lot of guys see this as much more work and won't ship here. A import/export license does the trick, but is a waste of money unless you're spending lots of money on importing each year.

Doing it without paperwork can be a gamble. If you get a customs agent on a $hitty day, he might say your shipment is void, let it sit there for a couple days until they decide that its safe. By then your fish are usually dead.

Using the no paperwork route has worked for me, if anything is ILLEGAL or any jazz close to that, you can be punished by law. Make sure to look up the species that are shippable across the borders. (eg. shipping Arowanas to America)

Also if you just choose to ship, it'll cost ya an arm and a leg. It costs me close to $200 PER box usually, depending on how much I get packed in there and how much it weighs. Also make sure that the shipper puts all the information legibly on the box, name phone # etc. and what's in the box. Usually I have the species putting on the shipping waiver just in case the customs agent gets picky. Also, more than likely your box will be open and/or tampered with. I usually lose 1 fish per order due to carelessness on behalf of the shipping company. Make sure all the fish are double or triple bagged, and have enough water in the bags to survive 2 days. Sometimes the orders have to sit over night, so its best to ship on monday/tuesday/wednesday. ALSO make sure there are plenty of heat packs, I usually have my fish shipped in with wool in the box due to our weather. The thicker the box, the better as well!!

Quinn