How would I set up a tank like this?

Erin

I saw this tank and thought HEY thats cute!!!

Akvariebilder142.jpg

How would I got about this??? I like it would I have to buy the glass and make it? I would like to make 3X 3 gallon tanks If I can make them CHEAP... They would make good betta tanks if I made an interesting lid I think. Maybe a glass lid. Would Plexiglass(sp?) work ok or would it bend under the heat of the light? hmmm this is all making me do some planning... If I can make these I bet I can make them and place all three on my TV Stand side by side far enought not to stress but close enought to have a flare off every once in a while.

ORRRR Make a long one and then truen it into three different ones. each with there own filter and heater. Add in a long light that goes over top. Again have to find what I would do for a top. hmmmmm interesting.

Any suggestions???

Looks like 1/4" glass and silicon. If you're at all handy, you could make a bunch fairly cheeply. At the Architecture Clearing House, you can get a 3' x 4' pane for about $30, and you can get a tube of silicon at Home Hardware for $2. Then you only need a glass cutter ($12 at Home Depot) and a broom handle, and you're set.

Measure the glass, score it ONCE with the cutter; put the cut on a broom handle and snap. Repeat 'til you get enough pieces the right size. Next, use tape (masking or duct) to hold the pieces together while you silicon the inside. Let sit for 24 hrs. Fill w. water in the sink to make sure they hold (no leaks), and you're ready.

WOW :w00t: thats it! about $44??????? Now I just have to think about a way to get the glass home... :( Oh well I might BEG!!! my father in law or see if some one here might do it for an exchange of one of the tanks I'll build... Maybe a raining May month... yah have at least 2 singles and my main project done by my b-day (may 19th) ooooo Thanks Jason! GREAT Idea!!!!

Looks like 1/4" glass and silicon. If you're at all handy, you could make a bunch fairly cheeply. At the Architecture Clearing House, you can get a 3' x 4' pane for about $30, and you can get a tube of silicon at Home Hardware for $2. Then you only need a glass cutter ($12 at Home Depot) and a broom handle, and you're set.

Measure the glass, score it ONCE with the cutter; put the cut on a broom handle and snap. Repeat 'til you get enough pieces the right size. Next, use tape (masking or duct) to hold the pieces together while you silicon the inside. Let sit for 24 hrs. Fill w. water in the sink to make sure they hold (no leaks), and you're ready.

I thought you had to silicone the glass walls to the base glass?

Or does siliconing the inside spread under the glass in order to seal/hold the panes together?

Ooh Lala ADA Mini Tank along with corresponding lamp ( ADA Mini Solar Lamp that 27w desklamp sadly costs $200 i believe).

Anyways another option is try Aquarium Illusions and have a rimless tank built.

That's what i'm getting done right now.

Did a bit of googling, and this seems to be a nice resource:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133052

I thought you had to silicone the glass walls to the base glass?

Or does siliconing the inside spread under the glass in order to seal/hold the panes together?

Yes, putting a beed of silicon down to where you attach the next piece, then tape together and finish by smoothing the beed on the inside - completely wipe it off of the outside.

And, using a Dremel to sand down the edges is a good idea, like Sue mentioned.

I'm planning on trying this out in may. I think if all goes well I'll make some for the bettas. If all works well I might try even breeding my bettas.

I do have a question, If I was to make one with three sections each with their own heater and filter, would the heaters over heat the water since they are side by side? I was thinking about that last night. Wouldn't three heaters add to much heat. what if I had two on each end? that way they would heat the middle tank... would this work or any I out in left field?

you can get a 3' x 4' pane for about $30, and you can get a tube of silicon at Home Hardware for $2. Then you only need a glass cutter ($12 at Home Depot)

It is cute. But setting aside the one-time cost for the glass cutter, you can spend the same amount at a certain LFS and get a 5g with a hood. Just saying!

I'm planning on trying this out in may. I think if all goes well I'll make some for the bettas. If all works well I might try even breeding my bettas.

I do have a question, If I was to make one with three sections each with their own heater and filter, would the heaters over heat the water since they are side by side? I was thinking about that last night. Wouldn't three heaters add to much heat. what if I had two on each end? that way they would heat the middle tank... would this work or any I out in left field?

I'd do a heater in each end. The circulation from the filters will heat the middle. If you're just doing a small tank, you may be able to heat w. a reptile pad or something similar under the whole tank.

HEY thats a great idea! I didn't even think about that... when I bought the small plastic reptile container I had looked at a heating pad for it and they had said glass only. Thats a much better solution... but are they adjust able??? to that if its too hot I can turn it down? I don't work till Sat. so If I don't find out soon It'll be bugging me all week LOL.... yes I'm on of those people!

The last one I had was not adjustible, but I set it up under a vivarium with Green Anoles and White Clouds, and the water temp was a steady 78.