Hello New member!

Knowzilla

Hello all, joined this board but never posted.

So here go's, I live in Edson and currently keep Koi and goldfish as well as (as far as I am concerned) a failed 55 african cichlid tank and a variety of reptiles. I am currently in the process of turning my reptile room into a reptile/fish room, and am looking to upgrade my crapy 55gal to a 180gal or bigger, as well as a 110gal into a southamerican ciclid tank when the renos to my room are done.

:welcome:

Hello all, joined this board but never posted.

So here go's, I live in Edson and currently keep Koi and goldfish as well as (as far as I am concerned) a failed 55 african cichlid tank and a variety of reptiles. I am currently in the process of turning my reptile room into a reptile/fish room, and am looking to upgrade my crapy 55gal to a 180gal or bigger, as well as a 110gal into a southamerican ciclid tank when the renos to my room are done.

The word biotope is basically synonymous with habitat. A biotope aquarium is one in which you try to replicate as best as possible a habitat that can be seen in the wild. Such as Amazon River (to be vague) or Cenote Escondido (to be exact). You can start with a vague setup and work your way up.

So basically you make your tank as natural as possible for the fish you are going to keep. This is less important for domestic fish, but if you are keeping wild caught fish, it can make a huge difference. Not only do you want to replicate the environment (fast flow to stagnant, gravel and rocks to sand and driftwood), but the water conditions should be as close as possible as well.

It takes a lot of effort to perfectly re-create a habitat, but it is more rewarding than any other "type" of fishkeeping in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Taylor (PM me if you want any more info/ideas)

The word biotope is basically synonymous with habitat. A biotope aquarium is one in which you try to replicate as best as possible a habitat that can be seen in the wild. Such as Amazon River (to be vague) or Cenote Escondido (to be exact). You can start with a vague setup and work your way up.

So basically you make your tank as natural as possible for the fish you are going to keep. This is less important for domestic fish, but if you are keeping wild caught fish, it can make a huge difference. Not only do you want to replicate the environment (fast flow to stagnant, gravel and rocks to sand and driftwood), but the water conditions should be as close as possible as well.

It takes a lot of effort to perfectly re-create a habitat, but it is more rewarding than any other "type" of fishkeeping in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Taylor (PM me if you want any more info/ideas)

Well stated Taylor....