Algae Bloom

Fox

For the past month or so I have been fighting an algae bloom in my 90 gal tank...I have been doing frequent small water changes and have cut back how much I have been feeding them even though I don't think I feed them too much...the tank stays clean and I keep up on maintenance but I cant seem to resolve this. I am about ready to go out and buy a UV filter to combat it but I am wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions as it seems to be starting to affect my male peacock and one of my mbuna's...

Any help would be appreciated!

You need to cut out the light . Complete darkness for 3 days will starve it out . You may need to repeat the process but this is the only natural way . I would feed my fish and then cover the tank with a blanket . To check on it , peek at night with a flashlight .

I would just get a small uv sterilizer and not worry about it anymore

I ended up getting one last night. I didnt really notice a change in the morning but I wasn't really expecting results over night...hopefully couple days it'll be all good...any idea how long it should take for 90 gal tank? The UV filter I got says its rated for 125 gal...

IME, a UV sterilizer will only really do any good agains Green Water. If your tank isn't a PLANTED tank, then 10hrs is the max time you should have your lights on. If you want, you can just turn on the lights when you're home - they don't need to be on all day. I have one tank that only gets ambient lighting and the fish are doing great - the swordtails look like they're about ready to give birth!.

IME, a UV sterilizer will only really do any good agains Green Water. If your tank isn't a PLANTED tank, then 10hrs is the max time you should have your lights on. If you want, you can just turn on the lights when you're home - they don't need to be on all day. I have one tank that only gets ambient lighting and the fish are doing great - the swordtails look like they're about ready to give birth!.

Green water is exactly what I have been fighting...I have stopped turning on the light in the morning and only turn it on when I get home...the water has already started to clear up since putting the UV sterilizer on but its not 100% yet but it certainly seems to be helping!

Never mind, should have read the whole thing. :blush:

Hehe no Worries....Congrats on the swordtails btw...my big electric yellow is carrying...I am hoping they make it this time...I didn't have much luck with my peacocks...

OK that UV filter is absolutely glorious...my water hasn't been this clear since the first day I filled it and I am sure its even better now...I encourage everyone that has my problem to give them a try if they can afford it...best investment i have made yet...I am actually enjoying my fish again!!!

OK that UV filter is absolutely glorious...my water hasn't been this clear since the first day I filled it and I am sure its even better now...I encourage everyone that has my problem to give them a try if they can afford it...best investment i have made yet...I am actually enjoying my fish again!!!

Yep. If all else fails this will almost always work. I like to recommend it to my customers but a lot of them try to go for the more affordable options :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

UV's are awesome, they will also help if you happen to get green dust algae in your tank. It is just when you need to replace the bulb when it is a pain and can be a real expense. I suggest when the algae bloom clears to shut off the UV, otherwise you will find yourself buying a new bulb more often than you should have to. I would mainly only use them for problems like that, or when I would start to see signs of gill flukes. That reminds me, I need to go and get a replacement bulb for mine............