Cardinal tetras

deanis

IME cardinals are one of the better fish for seeing their schooling behaviour. MIne are always in a group. I would suggest atleast 6 but the more the better. I think they look better in larger groups, so get as many as you can afford. the number will also depend on how many and what other fish you want.

But the smallest i woudl make a group would be 6-8 fish

Also just so you know, that after a while when the fish feel comfortable they will be less likely to school. UNless you have a threat(ex, bigger fish) the tetras dont' feel the need to school. Schooling is done as a protection. If they aren't scared they dont' always school. Atleast i've found cardinals to be one of the better schooling fish. I have other tetras and such that never school unless scared.

I thought 10-12 was a great looking number in my 33. Unfortunately I lost a number of mine and haven't been able to buy more. But I can tell you four isn't enough, they do school at that number, but its not as impressive. Actually I was going to go up to about 16. It limits what else you can fit in there, but I was gonig for an angel cardinal only tank at the time. An angel pair and a school of cardinals in a planted tank was really nice and I will be doing it again when I can afford to.

• 1 month later...