New algae on the block

corrosionjerry

Well ! I have two tanks that I have started to get a very green algae that is on the surface of the wood / it is almost like a skin / when I vacum the gravel etc. it comes off very easily... like peeling skin...

This is a recent event and only in two tanks that I have been doing the fert. treatment guide pinned in this section.... is there an overabundance of one of the ferts that would cause this annoying algae.....?

I am sure others will help out with your problem, but it is one I recognize. It is Blue-Green Algae algae, which is actually cyanobacteria. I think the treatment is antibiotic rather than ferts.

Maybe cyanobacteria... but I dont think so as it is not stringy / this algae is only on some of the wood and / bright green

It sounds like BGA to me, as well. Increase NO3 and CO2 if you're using. NO3 will help more.

The sure-fire way to get rid of it is the black-out method:

1) 50% WC getting as much of it as you can, 2x NO3 dosage

2) Black out for 4 days

3) Uncover, 50% WC w. 2x NO3 dosage

The BGA will be gone and won't come back unless you neglect. You can use antibiotics if you want... but why use meds and create superbugs?

Just turning the lights off isn't enough - you do have to cover the tank so no light gets in. Also, turn off your CO2 while the light are off.

I recently did the black out method with two tanks of mine that were beginning to get quite the cyanobacteria bloom. I just covered the tanks for 3 days with the lights off, and the change was amazing! All the blue/green cyanobacteria was gone, and has now been gone for over 3 weeks. My tanks are more 'low tech' though with only fluorish added, and I didn't add anything else or even do any 50% water changes.

Hey Jerr. I hate the stuff and in my research this is what i've compiled. I've done the blackout method and it worked. But i didn't like the idea of complete darkness for 4 days. So the next time i got it (in a diff tank) i used maracyn. The antibiotic killed the stuff after 3-4 days of dosing. No fish deaths, and no adverse side effect.

Also it is always in areas of low flow for me, might be something to think about.

Blue Green Algae BGA (Cyanobacteria)

Major causes are low nitrates and inadequate flow. Also a symptom of dirty water or filters.

1. It is thought that levels of nitrate between 8-15ppm and even as high as 20ppm is an adequate range. This is to be checked first if there is BGA issue.

2. Also erythromycin/maracyn will nuke the stuff. But it will/could also negatively effect the biological filter

3. Blue Green Algae Remover'

Ultralife Blue-Green Algae Remover is a revolutionary time tested product that will effectively and safely remove blue-green algae from your tropical fish and freshwater invertebrates. Safe for all tropical fish, freshwater invertebrates and plants. The results will amaze you.

4. Doing a 3-4 day complete black out will kill the stuff. It is recommended to add and airstone for the allotted time. Also wise to dose nitrates before and after treatment.

Edited by devocole

Hey Jerr. I hate the stuff and in my research this is what i've compiled. I've done the blackout method and it worked. But i didn't like the idea of complete darkness for 4 days. So the next time i got it (in a diff tank) i used maracyn. The antibiotic killed the stuff after 3-4 days of dosing. No fish deaths, and no adverse side effect.

Also it is always in areas of low flow for me, might be something to think about.

Blue Green Algae BGA (Cyanobacteria)

Major causes are low nitrates and inadequate flow. Also a symptom of dirty water or filters.

1. It is thought that levels of nitrate between 8-15ppm and even as high as 20ppm is an adequate range. This is to be checked first if there is BGA issue.

2. Also erythromycin/maracyn will nuke the stuff. But it will/could also negatively effect the biological filter

3. Blue Green Algae Remover'

Ultralife Blue-Green Algae Remover is a revolutionary time tested product that will effectively and safely remove blue-green algae from your tropical fish and freshwater invertebrates. Safe for all tropical fish, freshwater invertebrates and plants. The results will amaze you.

4. Doing a 3-4 day complete black out will kill the stuff. It is recommended to add and airstone for the allotted time. Also wise to dose nitrates before and after treatment.

Thanks for the info Devon..... I find it amazing that it happened in the two tanks... There is better then average water flow / FX5 filter blows out the water like crazy and I change out the water more then most... min of 50% a week...

It really is quite controllable as it is / it just bugs me the little that there is! Maybe one of those common plecos for a week or two would be the best control...

So now I have three methods to choose from...... not sure what way to go... bugs me to do lights out on my Discus tank as they will be skittish as heck if I do that and I wont see them for a month after that treatment.... what do you guys and gals think?