Aponogeton Undulatus

Drydock

DSC_0168.jpg

Please ignore the sword in front that needs some pruning...

So I have had this plant for over a year and have yet to convince it to multiply. Originally, I thought it was going to the compost heap after everything I tried could not stop it from losing all of its leaves. It has finally come back and has shot off about 6 flower stalks in the past month or so.

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

On one of the original flower stalks I noticed these...

DSC_0163.jpg

So here are my questions:

1. Has anyone else pollinated this or a similar species?

2. Is the last picture what would be called a water berry? What should I do with them?

3. I saw a bright red seed floating in the tank. I am assuming it is from this plant as I don't have any others that have flowered recently.Do I just bury it in the substrate?

Anyone who has cultivated these plants before, your input is most valued.

Congratulations!

Just leave them alone. The little fruits will separate from the flower stalk and float around for a while. Eventually the seeds will separate out and then sink to the bottom where they will root and grow.

Indeed, these are water berries! What you do with the flower depends on the contents of your tank. if you let the seeds fall to the substrate, and your water params are ideal, you should see seedlings start to sprout. If you have fish that nip at plants, they will likely be eaten. If you have plecos or loaches that normally disturb your substrate, the seedlings will dislodge and have a really tough time establishing. To encourage the seeds to successfully germinate, cut the flower (which already has water berries on it) off and place it in its own tank with a fine substrate and let the rest of the berries fall off - I normally toss them in my shrimp-only tanks. Care for the seedlings like any other sensitive plants. Growing any aponageton from seed is a lengthy process, but fun.

Good luck!

Wohoo!

This looks like my mystery plant from petco!! It flowered and now I have 2 little plants. I just left it alone.